Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #1 
SparklE fin

Question Where do you put the heater and filter in your tank

I'm getting a new betta tank!! So excited. But I need to ask, where do you put your filter and heater? In the back middle, the corner. I bought this off amazon -->http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035H...3032209&sr=8-3 . Also will it hurt too add the betta and plants at the same time? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks ^.^
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

"Hello there :) my name is Toothbrush, and my 25w adjustable heater goes diagonally against one of my four walls. I like it hidden with some Java moss, I love my heater!"

Lolol couldn't help it, just took these photos XD then saw your thread. I usually add everything at the same time.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #3 
SparklE fin

Creative response XDD what about the filter?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 
MSG

That really depends on the size of the tank & how you have everything layed out. Plants/decorations, etc...

• Heater is usually best placed on the opposite side of where you mounted the thermometer.

I prefer to mount the heater near the air stone or close to where the power filter shoots out the water.

• Without the air or the filter moving the water, the heater just heats the section where it's located.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #5 
Silverfang

If you have a filtered tank, it's a good idea to place the heater either near the intake tube, or by the out flow. This helps the heat distribution.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe filters should have a central placement (feel free to correct me).

Thermometers are ideally placed as far away from the heater as you can.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 
RainbowSocks

I have my heater horizontally next to the intake of my filter, which is placed where the hole for it is designed in the hood. As already said, you want there to be some water flow by your heater to distribute the heat, and put the thermometer as far away as possible. I intend to disguise my heater with a row of plants.

It's recommended to quarantine your plants for a while (I don't know how long) to make sure they don't have any hitch-hikers... from bacteria to snails (I had some surprise bits of java fern once that I was able to situate about my tank). Especially if you purchase plants that were previously kept in tanks with fish, you never know what kind of cooties those fish had. :P
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

in my ten gal (look at my album pics) i have my filter in a coner, and then my heater close next to it so when the waterfall comes out of the filter, it heats the water better
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 
SparklE fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSocks View Post
I have my heater horizontally next to the intake of my filter, which is placed where the hole for it is designed in the hood. As already said, you want there to be some water flow by your heater to distribute the heat, and put the thermometer as far away as possible. I intend to disguise my heater with a row of plants.

It's recommended to quarantine your plants for a while (I don't know how long) to make sure they don't have any hitch-hikers... from bacteria to snails (I had some surprise bits of java fern once that I was able to situate about my tank). Especially if you purchase plants that were previously kept in tanks with fish, you never know what kind of cooties those fish had. :P
I have spare 1 gallon, can I use that to quarantine? I'm just getting Java moss and Anacharis.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 
MSG

You can use ANYTHING even old tupperware containers as a Q tank. I use old flower vases after they're rinsed out thoroughly.

I'm especially fond of the square or rectangular vases that are made out of glass or crystal.

Just be careful not to chip them or drop them.

They're kinda heavy and don't have handles.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 
lilyrazen

Some tanks like that have the filter opening on the far left, and that's where I keep my filter. My heater isn't fully submersible, so I have it in the designated "heater hole" in my hood, on the far right. Having a smaller tank, 5 gallons, it should be too hard to find it's place.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote