Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
MSG

ZooMed 20 Gallon Critter Cage

On the bottom of this tank, there's a tag that says "Don't fill with water", but all the seams have silicone around it, looks identical to my 20 gallon long.

The only difference is the interlocking lid.

Has anyone used this particular tank for fish?

I have 2 of these tanks. One is brand new & the other one was probably used to house a turtle.

Here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-28021-20.../dp/B0017694AI

http://www.ehow.com/how_5759654_use-...rium-fish.html
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #2 
megaredize

sometimes they make aquariums for reptiles with thinner glass than they would normally for ones meant for fish, I personally would not test my luck with it but you can fill it and not put anything in it till your sure it wont leak or bust on you
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 
battered

In my opinion, I wouldn't fill it with water if it specifically says not to. You might want to try comparing the glass to the glass of your 20L to see if there are any differences.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #4 
MSG

Both of them held water over a week. No problems.

• I'll put the ZooMed tank & the 20 Gallon Long Fish tank side by side tomorrow to do some measurements. But I think they're identical.

Last time I checked, I think the ZooMed tank looked like it's made with better materials though.

• The 20 Gallon - critter cage is has those extra built in features & is less than 1 year old. The used one that held a turtle, is probably 2 years old.
  • The 20 Gallon Long tank was manufactured in 1998. From it's near new condition, I think it was only used for maybe 1-2 years, then drained & put in someone's basement/garage for 10 years.
The gravel I scooped out of it was ANCIENT, looked like mixed assortment of fruity pebbles. A lot of the paint on the gravel was flaking off it. Also came with 10 year old water test kit that still works.

If you have any other suggestions let me know.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #5 
goldfishyman

Only two things that you might consider. They did not use a 100% silicon sealer for your seams and it will leach out poison for your fish. Or the metal screen top would get wet and add metal to your water and poison the fish. As for the glass it's probably the same standard as other aquariums.

Now my real thoughts on this. They all come off the same assembly line. The silicon is safe. They just want to sell two different products that are almost exactly identical. The only thing I would not use is the metal screen lid. Have some glass cut and make your own lid.

Over the years I have had many hobbys and have found that you can usually find the same products from another area of use that works exactly the same. When they find out hobbyist use them they rebrand and repackage the same product and hike up the costs claiming that the new product is better and you should not use the previous product which has been in use for many years.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 
registereduser

There might be some difference in the strength of the glass, so be careful not to tap or bump it too hard when it's full of water
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #7 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
There might be some difference in the strength of the glass, so be careful not to tap or bump it too hard when it's full of water
The glass should not be a problem unless you see a lot of bowing in it. I have looked at those critter tanks and see no difference in the glass thickness. I looked at them thinking that maybe they would be cheaper than fish tanks but they are just as expensive.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #8 
MSG

I have 2 of these critter cages. One is brand new, the other is missing the lid. The one that is missing the lid was used to house a turtle.

I did compare the tanks at the store. The glass on the CC is definitely about 50% THINNER in comparison to the standard 20 long.

I should weigh them to see how much of a difference. I'll do that.

The 20G long has been clean & ready to go for over a week now. Just not sure if I want 2 tanks sitting in the living room.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Grannyfish is right about the silicon. IMO it's just asking for trouble longterm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #10 
MSG

Grannyfish, haha.... There's no such member by that handle.

Well, the tanks are going to hit the market.

Thanks for your input everyone.