Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
katrina89

Homemade vs. store bought dividers?

Anyone had both? pros and cons of the store bough variety? I'm thinking of eventually buying a petsmart 5g divider bec i know it will atleast be straight
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 
DragonFish

The one time I used a store-bought divider, it felt very flimsy and was nearly clear, my boys could see each other a little too well for my, or their, liking, plus the little holes were so small water movement and heat seemed not to travel properly. Plus, there was this huge black line at least an inch in width in the middle of my tank that I really didn't like the look of. That was a couple years ago, I dunno if they make them differently now, but I really didn't like my store-bought divider at all, I even had some trouble with getting it in straight and it bent quite a bit, though that could have been me.

Now, I make all of my dividers....they're cheaper and just feel more stable to me, and you can double up on the mesh to help limit your boys view of one another. I've never really had trouble with them bending too noticeably...I'm not sure if its because I double up(which seems to make them more stable/straighter as well)or I'm rather meticulous about measuring and cutting the mesh, but I don't really see much of a bend when I look in my tanks. The little binder-end things are nice and small, and even though I double up I've never had trouble with heat distribution or anything.

So I'd say homemade all the way....but thats just my experience/opinion xD If you feel like a store-bought divider would be better/more convenient for your tank then go for it.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #3 
MSG

This totally depends on how crafty you are. Some people just aren't coordinated enough to make things on their own, so they take the easy way out & buy the standard stuff.

If I'm going to attempt to do something by hand versus the traditional route of buying a mass manufactured low quality product sold in store... I'll go all out because I like the challenge.

I've seen some home made dividers & if it's crooked. It's YO fault.

I KNOW if I make a divider it's going to be straight & better than the local store bought product.

I know a curved home made MAY be more stable, but that could be an excuse.

For me, I'll find something creative, but stylish & aquarium safe to stabilize a straight divider if I ever go that route.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 
katrina89

maybe i'm not crafty enough but the divider i made failed in only a day... my bettas ended up on the same side an i had to come to their rescue... now one is in a kritter keeper and now i need to find a store bought one thatll do the job :/
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
MSG

Didn't you see my divider for the 2.5 gallon time out/bad betta tank? I made it with a CD Jewel case & 2 cotton swabs. Took me about 60 seconds to make.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #6 
katrina89

yea but mines a five gallon... finding a divider for a 2.5 on amazon is soo easy.. they even have glass ones... i guess alot of ppl divide a 2.5... nearly none divide a 5... so ill have to cut down a 10g