Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 
emilyjessica

Craft foam safe for Betta tank?

I'm not sure if any one will know what I'm talking about, but you know those sheets they have, in all different colours, in craft stores, usually near the felt? I'd like to use some of that to make some floating decorations and stuff, but I'm not sure if it's safe. I assume its made out of plastic, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? And sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about, I don't know if it has an official name...
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 
Kenny G

I would not recommend it. The only way you can be sure the foam is clear of any dyes or chemicals is to buy filter foam for aquariums. Craft store foam was never intended for fish. They are full of dye's that might prove to be dangerous for aquarium use.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 
emilyjessica

That's pretty much what I was worried about, I just wanted a second opinion, I wasn't able to find any info online.
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ooh i know those :D I've used random foam like stuff in the aquarium. I think plasti is pretty inert. however I dont believe that you will be anle to draw water through that foam lol. And if you want me to test it, I can do that when I get back to NY :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
MSG

Photos from my visit.

Any of this foam similar to one you were thinking of using?

• NU-Foam & Soft N Crafty were the two I was planning to buy with a 40-50% coupon to make prefilters out of. I couldn't decide so I left.
  • There's 2-4 other craft stores I'm going to hit up first to see if they have a better product.

The green colored foam I'm not so sure about & same with the bug & tar sponges @ the dollar store.

But the bug & tar sponges, I could have made 10 prefilter covers with a pair of sharp scissors & maybe a razor sharp apple corer?

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote