Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 
Kassidy47

Should I remove my betta from my platy tank?

I got my betta (Charlie, the cutest betta I have ever seen:) about 6 months ago. He has been in a one gallon and I felt bad after doing research on bettas so I went out and bought him a 5.5 gallon. My mom thought that that was way to big for one fish and told that I should get others. I decided it might be fun. So I hopped on the computer and found that platies go well with bettas. Charlie was in his 5.5 for about 3 days before i put the platies in (I know, not smart. But I did rearrange his decor). I put in a pair of platies (Sunny and Moony) with him. He was freaking out at first and was chasing them but not hurting them. I left for an hour or so and when I came back Sunny had a mysterious u shaped whole in his tale... Wonder where that came from! *wink wink* anyway but by that time they had been in there with Charlie for almost 24 hours and he seemed calmed down. I have had him in there for like 8 more hours after that and no more chasing or flaring or biting ( although when Charlie goes bye they are sure to get out of his way). Do you think he is alright to stay now? Or should I take him out?
Kassidy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You should take out the Platies. Too much ammonia. They need like a 10 gallon. You could only get snails or shrimp in a tank below 10 gallons.
LebronTheBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #3 
Kassidy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You should take out the Platies. Too much ammonia. They need like a 10 gallon. You could only get snails or shrimp in a tank below 10 gallons.
Would they be ok staying though? I truly want the best for my fish but If I took them out I would have no where to put them.... Also will the part of Sunny's tail Charlie bit off grow back? How long will it take? Oh and lol sorry I'm new, ammonia?

Last edited by Kassidy47; 07-23-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

It should be OK. Just do more water changes and it should be fine. Yes, fins do grow back. Needs clean water. Just do 50% water changes every other day until you see a clearish fin where the missing part is. Then do normal changes. It will depend on the tail. Probably 1-3 weeks.
LebronTheBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #5 
katrina89

i put 2 platies in my betta in a 5.5g.... turns out they are way more high energy than i thought... they deff need a bigger tank... its up to u if u wanna keep them in there... just clean it alot!! but i dont think the betta will be happy... bec theyre so fast n zippy and their isnt much space... i returned the platies and no plan on dividing the 5.5g with another betta
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 
Kassidy47

I would return but I fell in love with the platies on the way home from a road trip when a LFS caught my eye. It's about an hour
Away and I can't drive all that way to return them...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
katrina89

well then i would take the betta out though... but thats just me
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #8 
MSG

You should leave them in there.

If you can... post a picture of your tank. I want to see what it looks like.

You may need a couple aquarium decorations, but I have to see how it's arranged first.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #9 
Kassidy47

I'm sorry I'm a newbie:) ( not to bettas to this site) how do I post pictures? Also (sorry kinda off topic but I'm curious) how do I make avatar pic?

Last edited by Kassidy47; 07-24-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Click go advance (below the reply box). Click "insert image" if you know the URL or "attachment" if your picture is in your computer.

I personally wouldn't put platies with any long finned fish - including bettas. They have the tendency to nip at fins - which will cause problems for your betta. If you want a community, use guppies or cardinal neons ...... not sure about the names of other compatible fish..... Be sure to quarantine any new fish you bring home before putting them in with other fish.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote