Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Talking my new old tank

recently, my grandmother passed away. and, she LOVED fish. always had a 10 gallon set up with some tetras in it, for as long as i can remember.

well, my aunt and uncle moved into her house while she was sick, taking care of her, and after she passed away, they got her house. Wednesday, me and my mom visited them, and we started talking about fish. i mentioned that females can live in a tank over 10 gallons together, in groups of 5 or more, and he said i could have her tank! OwO

sadly, it's been sitting there, not running, for months. >.>; yeah. it's gross. i took some pics of it before i started cleaning it, to show everyone the progress i make. and, here they are. :U

it goes without saying that i trashed EVERYTHING in there. well, no... i lie. that light blue rock, and the other big rock in there, i kept. not as tank decor, but just as pretty rocks. .3. the brown rock, is actually this really pretty deeeeep blue, shiny and see-through in some parts. and it cracked clean in half when i was washing them in hot water. 8U oops. i trashed her filter and chemicals, too. mostly because i have my own, but they were pretty gross, too. i kept her siphon, because some friends said it can be saved, despite the tube being gross and black. >.< i might go to the pet store, see if i can't buy a new tube for it.

i *love* that gravel, though. but, it's at LEAST 10 years old. .____. ew.

my plans for this tank? dividing it for two bettas. if i can get everything i want for it quickly, i want to buy a pair from a breeder friend. .3. yellow babies. unsexed. she told me a quick way to cycle it in two weeks, so i'm gonna do that. i just need lots of plants, is all. 8I and a test kit. even a used one. >.>;

so, this is my new project! :D it's gonna be FUN getting this tank totally clean. despite being so old, it seems to hold water perfectly. <3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #2 
reggie oaks

Hey, I liked your story. Good luck with this tank. The plan is great: Two bettas. I know they will be happy in your aquarium.
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
Luimeril

thanks! :3 i've had a 10 before, but it only had one betta, and at two points, guppies. i failed at guppies both times, though. 8I i figure, two bettas who grew up together would be better than two of mine, who have been alone their whole lives. i hope they'll be happy with me!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #4 
MSG

What are you planning to clean/scrub the walls of the tank with?

I dumped out some similar looking 10 yr old gravel.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
Luimeril

just hot salt water at first. then, i asked Ma to get me some vinegar to get rid of that white crud.

it was suggested to me on another forum to use sand or fluorite, rather than that gravel. ._. it flakes, apparently. sadface. i really like that gravel, but don't want paint flakes in my water. ;n;