Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
Ink

Heater and decor questions

Hi, I got a betta fish about a week ago, and started with a 1.6 gallon tank kit. Today I got a slightly used 3 gallon tank and set it up with the filter from the previous tank. This seems to have helped him out, as the filter made the current rather strong, now he can swim freely :) Is the 3 gallon tank gonna be okay for him, (the ad said it was 5 )?
My first question is that while I'm cleaning the gravel from the other tank, is it okay to leave the bottom of the tank bare? I got a few decorations and whatnot for him to hide in but I don't want to stress him out anymore.
Second question, I got a TopFin 7.5W heater from petsmart, but I can't find any reviews on it and it doesn't seem to have made any difference from the unheated tank to the new tank. Is this decent?

One more I forgot ... my hood seems to have vapor build up constantly, am I doing something wrong?

Forgive me for my ridiculous questions, I have to be the most paranoid new fish owner ever, haha.

Last edited by Ink; 07-23-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: remembered another question, haha
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

What kind of tank do you have him in now? Or do you have pictures? Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the condensation inside the hood unless it's dripping out of the hood all over your table, or it's causing problems for your light bulb in the hood. You might be able to reduce some of the condensation if you prop open the feeding door too.

I can't comment on how good the heater is you have. I don't know anything about that one personally. You can try to do searches here in the forum on your heater. Being summer you will probably see the heater kick on less then you will in the winter. It will keep the water from changing temperature though if your air conditioning kicks on or your house gets too cold.

What temperature is your tank at?

As for the gravel yes you can leave the bottom of the tank bare if you wish. I have gravel in some tanks and others are bare bottom. I find the weekly maintenance in the bare bottom tanks is a bit easier for me, then stirring around gravel.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #3 
Kenny G

A 3 gallon tank is fine for betta. Regarding the tank if the ad said it was a 5 gallon tank make sure you received what you paid for a 5 gallon tank. Now about your 7.5w Top Fin heater I never used it. But with most heaters you put them in the water for 15 minutes before powering it on. If it's been in the tank for 12-24 hours and you see no change in water temperature it might be defective. Do you have a thermometer to check? The vapor build up is normal usually that is caused by the wattage of the bulb. You can try using a lower wattage bulb or do what Twilight Storm suggested.

No questions are ridiculous in this forum. We are all here to help as best we can. We were all newbies once when we started caring for our betta's.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #4 
katrina89

i wouldnt worry about the condensation...it happens w my 5.5g too...i think its a personal preference for gravel... bec some people have bare bottom tanks all the time... i prefer the gravel... but thats me
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
Ink

Thanks for the replies! I'll take pictures soon, I need to find my camera first. Yea, the heater was on sale and I thought it was a good deal, it's a flat rectangular heater that sits flush against the tank.
I got the tank on craigslist for $10 so I'm not worried about it being a little smaller than I planned.
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote