Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #1 
LugiaChan
Member
 
LugiaChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Arrow How to prevent reflections from sides of the tank? Fin nipping stress for my male :(

My fish- even when my room lights are on and the back of the tank has something to cover it constantly swims along the sides of the tank all flared up. He nips his fins when he is stressed, unless it is fin rot. That I am not sure of but I can grab a photo.


It's rather strange because my previous betta would never do that and didn't see any reflection. But this fish is constantly all day and night flaring and swimming quickly at the sides. The only break he takes is a long stare down at my filter intake which has a sponge covering. o.O

This guy needs help for finding a calmer environment. I can't stand tanks where the back is covered, but I do it for him. If I have to cover the sides up too, i'm going to be very unhappy D: this guy requires a professional I think if there's nothing that can be done to help him on my end. I really do not want to cover the sides of the tank *sighs* i'm not sure what is causing it.

He likes to wedge himself underneath the rocks on the bottom, and maybe his fin keeps getting caught too. XD What a little advanced fish this is to care for :O help please. >.<;

My tank is a 10 gallon with a florescent light. Constantly angry hitler fish ! XD XD
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #2 
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Eh, you need to provide some sort of cover for the betta

You tank has nothing but gravel & that no fishing sign.

I would be pissed off, flaring & ripping my fins, all day long too if I was in that tank.

That leaf hammock is sort of junk if you ask me. Also every 2 weeks, you may want to check that leaf for signs of rust. I heard some bad things about them.

  • A amazon sword plant would have been a better option as the leaves of a sword plant will get large enough for the betta to rest on & hide under if he needs cover from light.

Also leaving the light on all day isn't going to keep the tank warmer.

  • Make sure when you get a submersible & adjustable heater to buy one that's at least 50, 75 or 100 watts.
What kind of plants did you order off ebay?
What kind of filter is in the background?
  • I like your choice in gravel. It's nice and natural.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #3 
toad
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
I see that your video is from March - what does the tank look like now?

My first thought when I read this was that the fish didn't have enough cover and was becoming stressed. Oh, but I see in your video description box, you leave the light on "constantly"? Do you mean all day and night? Because I believe abnormal light cycles are detrimental to fish, just as they are to other animals...
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 
LugiaChan
Member
 
LugiaChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I see that your video is from March - what does the tank look like now?

My first thought when I read this was that the fish didn't have enough cover and was becoming stressed. Oh, but I see in your video description box, you leave the light on "constantly"? Do you mean all day and night? Because I believe abnormal light cycles are detrimental to fish, just as they are to other animals...
The tank looks completely different than it did before. XD I have an adjustable heater right now exactly on 82 degrees. If a better temp. is suggested I will change it.

And I only leave the light on during the day time when I had plants. I had to take the plants out because they produced too much plant matter and it was hard to clean up and made the tank look horrible :/

I currently have the light on during the day time pretty much. Is it best that I use the light considering i'm not using any plants right now for the fish's day to night cycle, though the tank is by a window?

Could removal of the gravel be causing reflections to happen on the sides of the tank? I will immediately be adding gravel is this is true x.x

I will eventually find this problem and fix it as soon as I can for my poor fishy :( I think putting in more gravel is worth trying because i'm lacking gravel currently.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #5 
LugiaChan
Member
 
LugiaChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
You tank has nothing but gravel & that no fishing sign.

I would be pissed off, flaring & ripping my fins, all day long too if I was in that tank.

That leaf hammock is sort of junk if you ask me. Also every 2 weeks, you may want to check that leaf for signs of rust. I heard some bad things about them.

  • A amazon sword plant would have been a better option as the leaves of a sword plant will get large enough for the betta to rest on & hide under if he needs cover from light.

Also leaving the light on all day isn't going to keep the tank warmer.

  • Make sure when you get a submersible & adjustable heater to buy one that's at least 50, 75 or 100 watts.
What kind of plants did you order off ebay?
What kind of filter is in the background?
  • I like your choice in gravel. It's nice and natural.
Oh yes i've heard those kinds of stories with the rust on the hammock. I do not have any plants in the tank right now, they created huge amounts of plant matter and caused my tank to look hideous. I'd like something that wont cause plant matter to help my fish relax and replace it with the hammock as I've been wanting to remove it once there's something nice for him that wont create plant matter.

My heater currently is adjustable- the old one was replaced.

I am lacking gravel on the bottom of the tank which i'm assuming could be the problem, am I taking a good guess?

I am thinking of getting a betta log asap to help him have a place to relax as I work on getting better things for him- is this a good idea?
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
why not get tons of fake plants and some hideout spots? this could help with his stress level
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 
LugiaChan
Member
 
LugiaChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
why not get tons of fake plants and some hideout spots? this could help with his stress level
I agree. Do fake plants require cleaning very often? I'm going to be very cautious with anything that can harm his fins and stray from sharp plants or plants with metal inside.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #8 
RainbowSocks
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
My betta is rather aggressive, and would spend all day zooming around his 10 gal. fighting with his "evil twin." The dark background I put up had too much reflection, so I made my own lighter background by inserting some decorated stationary into sheet protectors, rubbing the sheet protectors to build up some static electricity, and sticking them onto the back of the tank. (I broke up the center of the stationary with some of my favorite quotes and a wee doodle to go with it.) I also put one up on one of the short sides facing into the room, and left the side facing the window as well as the front of the aquarium uncovered.

The lighter background, broken up with writing and not-too-colorful clipart, really did the trick. It's also cheap, and you can change the quotes/design/background whenever you like. Oh, and turning the sheet protector upside down, so the opening is facing the bottom of the tank, with keep the paper dry if you spill water... I do that a lot. lol

Whenever I vacuum out my tank, I just stick the vacuum over each fake plant (I have two) to suck up loose debris. I don't have a problem with algae, or with plant particulates from my live plants (with every water change, I remove browning leaves and stems).

Aaaand, that's my two cents. :P
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #9 
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I think you must have had either wisteria, hornwort, anacharis that wilted away & the leaves dropped and scattered all over the bottom. You probably didn't have enough ammonia/fish waste to feed them.

  • Plastic plants don't really require any maintenance other than rinsing before arrangement in the tank. Keep the tank away from the window because the only time you will need to clean it is if algae grows on it.

However, if you get plastic/live plants.... you WILL need gravel.

Don't tell me you tossed all that nice looking gravel in the trash?

Just go to the pet store to check out their plastic plants. You will have to go through their selection to see if any seem SHARP to you.

  • If you don't have time to run down to a pet store, for the time being..... just toss in a coffee mug you don't like anymore & see if Mr Betta will use that for a hiding spot.

Make sure it's rinsed out well



If he likes it, then get him a betta log or something similar.

If you decide to go the live plant route, here's a good site for pictures & measurements.

http://www.ourfishroom.com/plants.html

Nice response RainBS.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #10 
LugiaChan
Member
 
LugiaChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I think you must have had either wisteria, hornwort, anacharis that wilted away & the leaves dropped and scattered all over the bottom. You probably didn't have enough ammonia/fish waste to feed them.

  • Plastic plants don't really require any maintenance other than rinsing before arrangement in the tank. Keep the tank away from the window because the only time you will need to clean it is if algae grows on it.

However, if you get plastic/live plants.... you WILL need gravel.

Don't tell me you tossed all that nice looking gravel in the trash?

Just go to the pet store to check out their plastic plants. You will have to go through their selection to see if any seem SHARP to you.

  • If you don't have time to run down to a pet store, for the time being..... just toss in a coffee mug you don't like anymore & see if Mr Betta will use that for a hiding spot.

Make sure it's rinsed out well



If he likes it, then get him a betta log or something similar.

If you decide to go the live plant route, here's a good site for pictures & measurements.

http://www.ourfishroom.com/plants.html

Nice response RainBS.
My list of plants were here:
Eleocharis ''parvula'' (hair grass)
Lucky bamboo.
Pink or orange water lily.
Echinodorus 'vesuvius' (AWESOME snake bamboo-like twirls!)
Fissidens splachnobryoides (the bottom moss)
Marsilea quadrifolia (water shamrock)
Anubias, Petite Nana (just big leaves)
APONOGETON ULVACEUS (large flat curvy)
Corkscrew Vallisneria (long snake twirls)
Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum) (long, stingy, spacious)

I was planning on going with sand substrate because I already have my filter system ready with a sponge over the intake for introducing sand as long as its freshwater. Any thoughts?
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta nipping male platy spencerward Betta Fish Compatibility 2 04-24-2012 10:04 AM
Woah - Serious problem. Male Stress Line? Nexangelus Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 06-21-2011 06:29 PM
male fries and stress marks squal90 Betta Fish Care 4 06-06-2011 08:33 PM
tank reflections... bianca.the_tramp Betta Fish Care 4 11-16-2007 07:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.