Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 
914joe

Question Transferring fish

I have a question about transferring a store bought fish to a new tank ,from what i have read your suppoesed to ad water to the bag or cup and get him acclimated, and then remove him with a net and put him in your tank.I guess i did it wrong, mine came in a cup and i opened the lid slightly to pour a little water out, and then i poured him and the rest of the water in the cup into his bowl ,i did get him acclimated first before i did this.I assume the reason not using the water is to prevent it from contaminating the new water and getting your fish sick.Is this only the case for store bought fish ,say if i want to transfer my fish to a new tank is it okay to try and cup him and put him and the water in the new tank or shouldi use a net.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

The actual reason is for the fish not to get into shock. He'll easily get sick if he's in shock. You're supposed to pour half the water out of the cup the fish came in, and put the cup, (With him in it) into the tank. Make sure it floats, and that the Betta can still breath air. Leave it in for 15 minutes to get used to the temperature. Then put some tank water in the cup. Let it get used to the water by leaving it again for 30 minutes. Repeat until the cup is full. After that, you could gently open the cup, and gently tip the cup into the water to let the Betta come out. It's done! And nets could harm their fins. Cupping is suggested.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 
Kenny G

Well actually the reason for acclimating your betta is to prevent your betta from going into shock from the change in temperature of the tank water. It has less to do with cross contamination of the new water. You can do that as a precautionary measure. Since your cup has a lid next time you go to change the water put him back in the cup with the lid and float it in the new water for 1/2 hour, then you can release him into the new water. It's less stress on him this way.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #4 
914joe

Thank you very much Kenny G and Lebron for clearing that up for me,the reason i wanted to know is because i currently have him in a small bowl and i am waiting for a 6.6 gallon tank to be deliverd it should be here in another five days .I feel bad keeping him in the bowl ,so i picked picked up a 2 1/2 gallon tank today, so i can transfer him there until i can setup the bigger tank when it aririves and figure out how to cycle it.I figure i can always use the tank as a emergency tank or i can buy another betta fish.Here is a Pick of the little glass tank i picked up today,since i replaced half his water today i will wait a couple of days before i transfer him in this little tank.Thanks gain for the advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by 914joe; 07-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #5 
Kenny G

You are more than welcome. This is what we are all here for. Is that the Aqueon mini bow 2.5 gallon tank? If it is I have 2 of those tanks. One for each of my betta's and that very same thermometer wow
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 
914joe

Yes it is an aqueon 2.5 but not a bow it is square,the pic is bad looks warped but it's not, i just filled it up with water and treated it,so ican put Jaws in there in a couple of days