Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 
RainbowSocks

Cycled 10 Gallon: Water changes?

Soooo, I have a cycled 10 gallon with a few java ferns, handful of wisteria, Apongeblahblahton bulb (I really can't remember how to spell it lol), two wee (very wee) bits of java moss, and one happy betta.

As long as the water parameters are okay (across the board), can I not change the water?

I know 25% once a week is recommended, but I just came back from vacation, everything's at zero (with nitrates at 5ppm and pH/hardness unchanged), and he's built a bubble nest that ALMOST reaches across the whole front of the tank. I feel like every time he gets industrious, I change the water on him. x_X

I'm currently quarantining some plants I picked up on vacation (aka, picking out all the snails D:) and figured as long as his water chemistry is good I'll do the water change next week.

.-. Thoughts?
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The 25/30% weekly pwc is to get rid of DOCs (disolved organic compounds) and to replace minerals that your stock and plants use up. Also gives you a chance to vacuum and tidy up.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote