Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #11 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
If you can take care of the little girl betta you want you should go back and get her if you can't get her out of your mind.

I have been thinking about her since I left; I think I will probably end up going to get her when I get out of work tonight. I'm fairly certain she'll still be there; of course, I'll try to get something done for the other, sicker girl, too.

Your neighbor sounds horrific! I can't even begin to imagine what I would do if someone started abusing my dog; I would totally lose it

I will be so thrilled if they get rid of the tanks after the remodel; I took my time inspecting the aquariums yesterday while I stood over that woman cleaning the betta's cups. I complained about the tanks last week, and someone cleaned them. They don't look as though they've been touched since, and debris is beginning to build up on the tank floors again.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #12 
teeneythebetta

I've complained to my walmart and they told me the cups are dirty because customers feed them. When there is dark brown GUNK covering the entire bottom of a cup, that is just ridiculous.

If theres a problem with customers feeding them, then put a sign that says " DO NOT FEED THE BETTAS- using our food is stealing & punishable" and check on them AT LEAST every other day (although every day is better)

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #13 
ChardFish

Our Wally-world sells bettas, too. Avery was a rescue from them. Ans as for your little girl in the pic- both my Sassy Lashes and Hot Lips look exactly like that one! Sad, i hope someone takes her home and loves her. But do we rescue, and contribute to the "supply and demand" loop? Hard to say- when they die, they just toss them out and replace them. I am glad for the ones I decided to take, personally. The $3.50 is worth it, IMO, and you not taking her won't change anything for anyone, except for her. I would do it! (Have done it- have only had Lips 10 days...)
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #14 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChardFish View Post
you not taking her won't change anything for anyone, except for her. I would do it! (Have done it- have only had Lips 10 days...)

You're right - either I take her home and they replace her, or she dies there and they replace her. The best I can hope for is to give her a good life!

So, tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will be back at Wally World, and if she is still there (and she probably will be), I will be bringing her home to join the crew. If she's not there, I'll probably find someone else who needs me, and give them a good home.

Thanks for the advice, guys! <3
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #15 
toad

So, of course, about 5 minutes after I decided to go back for the fish tomorrow morning, I changed my mind and went to Walmart to rescue her.

She was still there, just like I figured she would be. Her sister was still alive, and I, being a sucker, couldn't take just one home, so I took both. The girl that I went back for is pink and in fairly good condition. The other girl is yellowy looking, and her gills are very, very red. She looks to me like she's got severe ammonia burns. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that...

There are 2 sickly little crowntail boys left on the shelf, and I accidentally jostled them when I picked the girls up. The blue one went crazy trying to eat the poo that was floating around him >.< I dug around in WM's fish cabinet, because I knew if I just ~told~ them to feed the poor fish, they wouldn't. I found their betta food - a can of flakes! - and fed the two little dudes myself. They were starving. I'm so upset.

But the baby girls are home safe, in clean water, and for right now I have them in two 1 gallon critter keeper type containers, each with a mug to hide in. I'm trying to figure out if I should put them in my 20 gallon long with some tetras, or if I should buy them each a little 3 gallon tank.

Last edited by toad; 07-25-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #16 
Bethydan

I work at Wally World and I can honestly tell you it is a cult. Where I work they keep hiring people to cover the Pet area, but then move them over to another department. They sell betta and crabs as well as snails and goldfish and various popular freshwater tropical fish species. The conditions have improved somewhat. Probably cause of my obnoxious mouth.

I complained rather loudly in the breakroom about how much I hate gravel being in tanks that aren't vacuumed regularly. About how it just traps the toxins from their waste and then releases it back into the water and poisons the poor little dears. I very vehemently said that ALL the gravel needs to be taken out. Period. And the water changed AT LEAST weekly. Now all of a sudden all gravel has disappeared and I'm hearing about the water actually being changed weekly. Miracle of miracles.

And then as I was cleaning up the pet area, I was discussing fish upkeep with a coworker to find that his betta only got fed once a week. No wonder it didn't live long. Actually, his words were, "It actually lasted a pretty good while." Betta aren't supposed to last a "pretty good while." I told him they have to be fed daily, kept in tanks that aren't tiny vases, and they can live for years.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Aww, Toad that's so sweet of you :3
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethydan View Post
I work at Wally World and I can honestly tell you it is a cult. Where I work they keep hiring people to cover the Pet area, but then move them over to another department. They sell betta and crabs as well as snails and goldfish and various popular freshwater tropical fish species. The conditions have improved somewhat. Probably cause of my obnoxious mouth.

I complained rather loudly in the breakroom about how much I hate gravel being in tanks that aren't vacuumed regularly. About how it just traps the toxins from their waste and then releases it back into the water and poisons the poor little dears. I very vehemently said that ALL the gravel needs to be taken out. Period. And the water changed AT LEAST weekly. Now all of a sudden all gravel has disappeared and I'm hearing about the water actually being changed weekly. Miracle of miracles.

And then as I was cleaning up the pet area, I was discussing fish upkeep with a coworker to find that his betta only got fed once a week. No wonder it didn't live long. Actually, his words were, "It actually lasted a pretty good while." Betta aren't supposed to last a "pretty good while." I told him they have to be fed daily, kept in tanks that aren't tiny vases, and they can live for years.
Why don't they put YOU in the pet department? I mean they wouldn't have to hear you complain (not that there's anything wrong with it, I would complain too lol) but also they would have more fish end up not dying, therefore more money for them to make.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #19 
Bethydan

I would love it. But I'd get pulled somewhere else and I couldn't stop it. I seem to be doing more good in instructing (or bullying ) others in how the fish need to be cared for. I love being there though. When customers ask questions, I'm probably (and sadly) the best qualified person in the store to answer pet questions. And they have me working on the opposite side of the store. :eyeroll:
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #20 
toad

Thanks, Teeney :)

Bethydan, I'm so glad those fishies have you to stick up for them! I, too, recently had someone tell me that their betta "lasted quite a while" (eating the roots of a plant in a vase, mind you), as though he was one of those Clorox Magic Eraser sponges instead of a pet. People's attitudes toward animals are just mind blowing sometimes -____-