Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #21 
Bethydan

The best part was when he said, "No, they don't need a lot of care! They live in dirty puddles in the wild!" All I could say was, "Oh yes they do. And they most certainly do not. Miles of water is not a puddle." I had to explain that what he had been told was misinformation that is passed around to a lot of people. But it's not accurate at all. He's not a particularly bright person and further argument would have been pointless.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #22 
ChardFish

I am so glad you got these girls! Give them fishy-love from me- I am a sucker for the little lady-fish... most people like the males, but I am such a fan of the delicacy and their little "tough-gal" personalities! My sorority tank is my favorite tank to watch! :) (I have three in there, Hot Lips, Sassy Lashes, and Sha-Dynasty, an they are all all so freaking cute! I know they say three won't work, but everyone else I have was too aggressive-all older than these, and these girls just hang out together without any fuss at all)
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #23 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChardFish View Post
I am so glad you got these girls! Give them fishy-love from me- I am a sucker for the little lady-fish... most people like the males, but I am such a fan of the delicacy and their little "tough-gal" personalities! My sorority tank is my favorite tank to watch! :) (I have three in there, Hot Lips, Sassy Lashes, and Sha-Dynasty, an they are all all so freaking cute! I know they say three won't work, but everyone else I have was too aggressive-all older than these, and these girls just hang out together without any fuss at all)
I totally agree. Females are my favorite. Teeney is my first female, she chose me, and after having her I got another female... Just love em :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #24 
Relic

This is only my opinion and I don't know enough about bettas to know if I'm even correct....but.... The bettas we buy from the store appear to be so out of touch with the true wild bettas as far as genetics go, I'm not sure the whole argument about "Bettas do not live in puddles..they live in miles of shallow water" has any merit with the fish we keep. The fish we keep are bred in tiny tanks and their kin have been bred and kept in tiny tanks for no telling how many generations, they have no thoughts of "Oh I miss my huge flooded rice fields and back water canals...I wish these people wouldn't keep me in these tiny tanks...Im so sad" All they know is what they have been bred into....and I have to wonder if a preference for smaller environments have also been bred into the fish unknowingly. I'm not saying, stick your betta in a plant vase and put it on a shelf somewhere and forget about it, is gonna make the fish happy.....but I do think...keep the fish's home clean, keep him fed and offer some entertainment for him and give him enough room to move around and he'll be plenty happy.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #25 
ChardFish

Well, Relic, there is merrit to what you say. I also keep fish, some, jarred right now. Partly because I am going to be moving them all into large, long, separated tanks with rooms for everyone soon. However, I change my water every other day for everyone, and while that sounds like a great idea at first, it is SO easy to just think "they can wait one more day"... and eventually, you get a fish forgotten, with no fresh water, no friends, and then they get sick and die. the point I am trying to make is this: whatever "tank" you use, please consider whether a larger one will allow you to care for your fish just a little better, especially if you find yourself "forgetting" them. Mine are all grouped with buddies, and since I am such a behaviorist, I spend a lot of time with them, just watching their interaction. But if a person isn't obsessed like me, please choose a bigger tank so a tendency toward natural forgetfulness does not hurt your pet. Whatever the case may be, bettas can NOT live in a vase eating a plant for nutrients. That is ridiculous and ghastly. You go live in your backyard and eat the grass you pee on. Then get back to me!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #26 
Pilot00

Yeah place a man in the bathroom and drop some food once in a while. He will live for years.

Anyway, if only chains like Wall Mart were the only problem. Pet store chains are even more horrible. They are supposed to be qualified and in the know. Yet they know not a thing. The keep all animals in absurd conditions not only fish.

I bought a canary for a friend. Man was he enclosed into a space equivalent to a betta 1 gallon tank. As for cleaning you can guess. The only thing i say he changed colour after he took a bath in my friends house.

Back to our fishy friends: I wonder how do the employees feel when they view the cups with the suffering bettas inside. An executive is an executive, he is not into conduct and if he had a heart he wouldnt be an executive in the first place, but the employess... I cant understand it after all on half of their job is to tend to the pets.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #27 
pittipuppylove

I had a issue with the bettas of my local Walmart too. The vet clinic I work at was in desperate need of doggie potty pads that they sent me to pick some up. Turns out they keep the pads next to the fish, so I just decided to glance at them on the way out. To my horror, all of the bettas had hardly any water - none had more than 1/2", and some had to be tilted on their side to have enough to be submerged. I flagged down a worker and told them as such, and that if they do not get more water SOON, they would die. The lady seemed concerned enough and said that she'd tell the manager and they'd take care of it. Unfortunately, I was still on the clock for my job and couldn't stay to make sure they did it, but I resolved that I'd go back in a couple hours after work and check to make sure they followed through - fully prepared that if they hadn't, I would make a stink and likely make a report to Animal Care and Control. Thankfully, they did fix it - still not great living conditions, but a far improvement from a couple hours before. It was horrible. Sorry about the long winded story, but I had to get that off my chest :/
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #28 
toad

I wrote corporate another letter. They probably won't answer this one either lol.

But, my girls are doing awesome :D
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #29 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Back to our fishy friends: I wonder how do the employees feel when they view the cups with the suffering bettas inside. An executive is an executive, he is not into conduct and if he had a heart he wouldnt be an executive in the first place, but the employess... I cant understand it after all on half of their job is to tend to the pets.
It's the case of "It's just a fish." or the equivalent depending on the animal. This isn't the case so much in pet stores except maybe in the fish department in some cases. But in chain super stores it happens more. If the person is an animal lover they care more. If they don't like animals they could care less and view them as a pain that needs to be maintained with extra care then a box of dry goods.

As for my nasty neighbor yes she WAS an evil, vile lady. I moved from that place to an even worse neighborhood where our house was getting vandalized, but my dog wasn't getting abused.

Glad to see your new babies are doing well :) Hopefully they won't restock them with the help of your letter. That was nice of you to feed the boys. They are more likely to get purchased anyway seeing as they are the flashy ones.

When I went to petsmart I was looking through the bettas one day and found another betta lover who frequented a different forum, and was talking to an employee there who also loved bettas. Both of them didn't like the females because they were more plain. I like my little girl. She's old and lumpy now but she still has plenty of personality and really wants to breed with her neighbor I have in a tank by her, poor thing.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who is a truly good and kind person that has, and expresses good values. There aren't too many people like that these days young or old.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #30 
ChardFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Yeah place a man in the bathroom and drop some food once in a while. He will live for years.

Yes, and "alive" and "happy" are not the same thing at all!