Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 
MasterMegan

Question Petco vs. Petsmart !?

So I've always went to petco (except for my first couple from walmart) for my bettas, BUT we are now getting a petsmart! And now I am curious to what everyone thinks about petsmart and how their betta's and betta supplies are compared to petco?

The petsmart is going to be much more convenient for me to get to, so I'm hoping its decent!

Thanks!
MasterMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Petsmart is a LOT more expensive in my opinion.

As for the pet care advice, I'd definitely say that Petco is better. All the Petsmarts I've been to have give off the worst pet care information, although their fish are always great. Petsmart once gave me a old/sick hamster for free because I was new to the hamster world.

Petco really seems to want to know your pets better. But they don't treat theirs as well as I'd like...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 
DragonFish

In general, from my experience in all the places I've lived since I started fish keeping, my experiences with Petsmarts have been a little better then Petcos. I remember one I lived by a few years ago was very clean, and the employees even gave out decently correct information, better then any other chain store I've ever been to/have been to since.

Where I live now though, my Petsmart is rather....merh. Not as kept up and clean as it could be, and while I can generally pick out a couple of gems their stock isn't as great as I've seen other places. However, its still better then my Petco here....its also much cheaper fish-wise.
The Petsmart by my best friends house, about an hour away, however, is quite wonderful. The tanks seem clean as well as the betta cups, the fish look much perkier and healthier and there is much more of a variety. I kind of want to move there just because of that Petsmart xD Lol

Thats just my personal experience, though. It really depends on the area probably, though yours will be new so hopefully it will be nice and shiny for at least a while xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
stephanier

I just got my betta from Petsmart and they seemed pretty well taken care of. He was in a decent cup (as decent as cups come...) and the water seemed very clean.
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #5 
MasterMegan

well thank ya guys! :D So I guess it all depends on the store! Maybe I'll buy my supplies from petco and my fish from petsmart ;D
MasterMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 
toad

It definitely depends on the individual store and the people that are staffed there. Some stores have a wonderful, caring staff, and some do not. I go to Petco (far too often, in fact), but mostly out of convenience. It is a whopping 30 seconds from my house. My Petco does a good job with their animals, the aquariums are always spotless, the bettas are kept pretty clean (though they tend to be overstocked, IMO) and the small pets' enclosures are clean, as well. I'd never buy a small pet from any pet store (I adopted Bernadette, my old lady rat from Petco, after her family left her there), but my first 2 bettas are from Petco. My second boy has an injury/congenital defect on his face, leaving him blind in one eye, and I probably could have gotten him for free if I had complained about it, but I didn't mind paying to take him home; he's a wonderful little animal.

I would suggest going and inspecting - thoroughly - both stores and see which one is kept cleaner and staffed better.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #7 
LaLaLeyla

My petco seems to have more of a selection of bettas instead of petsmart
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #8 
Sapphoira

Honestly it really depends on the store. As corporations go, they are nearly identical, with Petsmart being bigger and more profit. However, how each store is run and how well educated the employees are and how healthy the animals are is completely up to the store manager.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 
Kenny G

For me it's PetSmart hands down. The staff at PetSmart in my neighborhood are very friendly and knowledgeable. I will say both took great care of their betta's. Heaven knows I looked in every cup for dirty water, unsanitary conditions and sick betta's. I find PetSmart had better prices and there were more locations nearby.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Each store is individual, but here's my experiences...

Petsmart:
Wider selection
Better quality, quantity live plants & fair prices.
Better sales (not just in fish section!)
Clearance on end caps of aisles
Carries fewer bettas than petco, meaning less selection

Petco:
Carries NLS betta pellets
Seems to care for bettas better
Bettas aren't by the cashiers(I hate when the cashiers Stare at me while checking out the bettas LOL)
The "fish guy" is always around and doesn't have to be called in to the fish section

For me petco is closer too ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, petco, petsmart, question