Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

male betta and snail or shrimp in 5 gal. tank?

I'm thinking of getting a betta this week and I haven't had one in a few years. My last betta had a 1/2 gal. tank. I realize now that that's still really too small. The betta I had before that had an even smaller tank.
I was looking online at tanks that Petco sells for Bettas and there's a 5 gal. tank. I think that would be great and then I could give him a tank mate. I've heard mixed things about male bettas and shrimp. Would a male betta potentially eat any kind of shrimp? Ghost shrimp are larger than cherry shrimp, right? would a betta be less likely to eat a ghost shrimp than a cherry shrimp? Or should I go with a snail instead? What kind of snail should I get? Do snails or shrimp need sand or will they be fine with the pebble stuff?
Thanks!

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 07-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
katrina89

it depends on the bettas personality... mine never ate a ghost shrimp...i dont know anythin about cherry shrimp tho
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 
CharStarr

My male VT Kudo is in a 10 gallon tank with his new tank mate Gus a mystery snail. It all depends on the betta, some are more aggressive then others. Kudo has tolerated tetra and ADF in his tank, my new super delta Spyro I think will not tolerate any tank mates, he's more aggressive. But to answer your question, I think a snail would do wonderfully with a betta in a 5 gallon, I've learned though through this site not to overcrowd due to bioload issues so just be careful how many tank mates you get!
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
battered

I'd say generally, bettas are not compatible with cherry shrimp. It may take a while for an encounter to occur, but when it does, you'll usually end up with a dead rcs. Bettas don't generally go for ghost shrimp because they are bigger than rcs, but I had one that attack a molting ghost shrimp after several months of living together in a 10 gallon. In terms of snails, personally, I like nerite snails the most. Amazing algae eaters, smaller than mystery snails (which is good in my book), and can be very colorful.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go with the nerite snail as a tank mate to start with. I'll observe the personality of my fish for a while and then decide whether to get a ghost shrimp too. If I have a 5 gal. tank, would the bioload be too much if I decide to also get a shrimp? Or should I just stick to the fish with either a snail OR a shrimp? I'll have live plants in there, too.
I'm going to Petco today after work. I'm excited. hehe
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would stick to just one a shrimp or a snail...Good luck shopping !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote