Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Is it safe to switch 2 betta's decor? (read info)

Hey there! This isn't a big deal, so if it's going to be a problem, I won't have an issue with not doing this.

Basically, would it be safe to switch two fishes decor?

Tinsel, my opaque white HM is in a 3g with blue rocks and a few different kinds of blue plants. Brent, my turqouise blue VT is in a 3g tank with black and white rocks and green and black and white plants.

Would it be safe to put Tinsel's blue decor in Brents tank, and put Brent's black and white decor in Tinsel's tank?

Like I said, this is just a question. I'm fine keeping them this way, I'm just trying to be careful with what I say because sometimes people jump down your throat when you ask a question..

So yeah.

Thanks!(:
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
Jrf456

Also, so I don't have to make another thread, would it be safe to spray paint the top of tank lids? (of course not the bottom of the lid) if you make sure it's dry for like 24 hours and that it's plastic spray paint so it won't chip off into the tank?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #3 
katrina89

i mean yea there is a risk of cross contamination but i plan on having a divided tank so i wouldnt worry about that... just know its a risk
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #4 
katrina89

not sure about the spray paint... but i have heard of people spraying the back of tanks
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

If you want to swap decor, I would wash them off with white vinegar and water. Vinegar is a natural cleanser. If your fish are currently sick, I would advise against it.

As for the paint, I think it would be okay but don't take my word for it.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #6 
Jrf456

Thank you Katrina! :)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 
Jrf456

Thank you very much Teeney, I'll try the vinigar, even though they're not sick. Always want to be prepared!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
Hey there! This isn't a big deal, so if it's going to be a problem, I won't have an issue with not doing this.

Basically, would it be safe to switch two fishes decor?

Tinsel, my opaque white HM is in a 3g with blue rocks and a few different kinds of blue plants. Brent, my turqouise blue VT is in a 3g tank with black and white rocks and green and black and white plants.

Would it be safe to put Tinsel's blue decor in Brents tank, and put Brent's black and white decor in Tinsel's tank?

Like I said, this is just a question. I'm fine keeping them this way, I'm just trying to be careful with what I say because sometimes people jump down your throat when you ask a question..

So yeah.

Thanks!(:
When I brought Beau home, I had very little decor for his tank...I just took some from Buddy's tank and put it in with him...I thought the BB would not hurt him knowing that Buddy is healthy. JMO though. Both are just fine.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #9 
katrina89

np!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #10 
Shadyr

It does sound like each has the other's decor

I'd say the only time to be really paranoid about it is if one of the tanks is having environment problems or one of the fish is sick. Otherwise, just wash everything well before putting it back - make sure to rinse super well and dry in the sun if you end up using any bleach or vinegar.

I have a box of decor that I switch out, so some of my things have been in several tanks already.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote