Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 
Catie79

Plan for divided 20 gallon tank - input wanted!

I've been enjoying my 10 gallon so much that I've started planning out my 20 gallon. I don't have the experience or patience to run a sorority, so I want to divide it to keep four males. As this is a much bigger project, I'd like to lay out the plan before I start purchasing and get some feedback from others who have done this.

Current plan:

20 gallon long aquarium, divided
Glass canopy (since I'm going to be doing some funky stuff here and want to be able to add spots for air lines as needed)
Fluorescent strip light
4 mini sponge filters (rated for up to 7 gallons each), one for each section
- powered by one 20 - 40 gallon air pump?
100 watt heater
gravel substrate
array of plants, especially the water wisteria currently attempting to take over the 10 gallon

My big questions are around filtration. Does the 4 sponge filters idea make sense? If so, has anyone set up a system like this and how was it set up? How big of an air pump?

Also, will one heater in the middle cut it or is it better to get two smaller ones, one for each end?

Thanks!
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 
Catie79

Well, after reviewing the dimensions of a 20 long, I think it will be divided for three, not four. It's not really long enough for four with the swimming space I want them to have. So I guess that's a revamp. So . . .

20 gallon long aquarium, divided
Glass canopy (since I'm going to be doing some funky stuff here and want to be able to add spots for air lines as needed)
Fluorescent strip light
2 sponge filters, one for each end