Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #11 
Pataflafla

Another trick you can do to entice him to eat is to put a spoonful of cottage cheese in his food if you have that around the house.

If you don't have that, then I've never had a failure with .5 tsp of vegetable oil.

Neither will harm your dog, the latter (In modest quantities) will help your dogs coat with softness and shine.

But if he's young and active, start with what his food is recommending and work from there if he needs less or more. Even if you feed once a day, just be sure he gets what he needs.

I've got a 16 year old, bottom level energy corgi mix who gets .5 cups of food twice daily and that's all. He's lost weight on this (But he needs to lose another 5 pounds since he was on bad food before and got fat). Right now he's 47 pounds and should probably be 35-40 max.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #12 
TheCrabbyTabby

A good, high quality dog food might get him more interested in eating. My mom's lab/chow mix won't touch the cheap grocery store crud. Good brands include Blue Buffalo, Wellness, and anything that doesn't have grains added. This also helps with any grain allergies that they might have that may end up making them feel nauseated and thus not interested in eating. Feed him about 1/2 cups a day, 1/4 in the morning, 1/4 in the evening.

If you already feed a good, high quality food, then I would recommend that you only feed him that food and no table scraps or treats. The dog will get hungry enough, they will eat the food they are provided. In my opinion, and that of my father, no healthy dog will willingly starve themselves. I have a chihuahua who is spoiled rotten and expects to have filet mignon for each meal, and is sorely disappointed to find out that her meal is always Blue Wilderness. Left with her bowl of food, she will reluctantly eat it after a while.

I second taking the dog to the vet if this doesn't get any better within a couple of weeks. A health problem could be the cause.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-28-2012 at 02:26 AM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #13 
Pataflafla

Definitely check teeth for tartar and plaque as well as gum disease (Usually brownish mottling on the actual gums) as both can be uncomfortable or even painful. Also check for worn down teeth or chipped teeth as well.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #14 
TheCrabbyTabby

Yeah, what she said. Small dogs can get tarter build up much faster and easier than big dogs. If you see a huge amount of tarter, then a teeth cleaning is a must. If left, the tarter can cause all sorts of problems, not just eating problems, but kidney and liver problems, heart problems, that sort of thing.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #15 
Pataflafla

This might sound weird, but brushing your dog's teeth after every meal will cut down on any tartar and plaque build up. kibbles will help break apart any of it and so will chew toys. Encourage chewing on appropriate things.

dog-safe tooth paste and tooth brushes are available as well as cat tooth brushes too. If the teeth are really bad, you might want to invest on your vet doing a dental as that will help tremendously.