Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 
DiiQue

Quesion about water changes and temp difference

I'm scheduled for my first 50% water change based off of OFL's excellent cycle post. I know the replacement water should be preconditioned (currently stored in a water bottle, with the required drops of water conditioner), but what do I do about the temp difference between the current tank water (at a steady 80degrees) and the obviously much cooler, new water? Would I need to take the Betta out of tank first to give tank time to normalize back to 80degrees, or would the temp variance between old and new not be an issue and I can just add new water right in?
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #2 
Kenny G

Here is what you should do. Perform the 50% water change. Then place your betta in a tied bag filled about half way with the original tank water or a cup with a lid and float it in the tank for 30 minutes. This is important so even if there is a difference in the water temperature your betta's gets acclimated to the new water temperature without going into shock. After 30 minutes you can release your betta back into the tank water and all will be well.

Last edited by Kenny G; 07-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #3 
DiiQue

Just to clarify, do I put him into the cup prior to doing the water change or after?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #4 
Kenny G

Put him in the cup prior to doing the water change. That way once your done with the water change just float the cup for 30 minutes (with him inside it of course), let him adapt then set him free.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

A healthy Betta can tolerate some water temp difference with partial water changes....I would leave him in the tank and slowly add the fresh dechlorinated water depending on how much difference the two temp are.

On my outside spawns the water right now is over 100F and I top them off and flush the tanks with a water hose that is roughly 68F from my well....The 5gal buckets get about 2-3 gal of the cold water and this will equalize the temps to roughly 85F more or less-Doesn't seem to bother either the adults or eggs or fry of varied ages....
In my 250gal tank with about 30 males will play in the cold water as it goes in...lol...I think they look forward to it in this heat this year....

You don't want to plop them in extreme temp different water-but with a healthy Betta adding cooler or warmer replacement water for partial water changes generally is not problematic.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-25-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

I slowly add in cooler water to my sorority. I can't cup 14 girls and release them every week so I take out 5-7 gallons each week and add it back in. Like Old Fish Lady said, I have noticed some of my girls swim to the current. I pour it slow and it's not like 30 degrees different or anything. Just room temp.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
I'm scheduled for my first 50% water change based off of OFL's excellent cycle post. I know the replacement water should be preconditioned (currently stored in a water bottle, with the required drops of water conditioner), but what do I do about the temp difference between the current tank water (at a steady 80degrees) and the obviously much cooler, new water? Would I need to take the Betta out of tank first to give tank time to normalize back to 80degrees, or would the temp variance between old and new not be an issue and I can just add new water right in?
I have NOT read the OFL's article on cycling but I do have 3 tanks, 2 10g & 1 46g that I do about a 50% water changes on at least weekly, more on the 2 that are cycling. The 2 10g tanks, I use tap water conditioned with Prime. I fill my bucket up with tap water before I syphon out the old tank water, it sits there while I do the vacuuming & such. I match the temp as best I can by touch, once I'm done cleaning, I pour the water into the tank. NO problems. For the 46g I have the Python which attaches to my faucet, allows me to syphon/vacuum & then refill straight from the tap, before I refill I treat the tank with Prime. So long as there isn't a major difference in temp. you should be OK, you can tell if the temps are close just by touch.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I dont take Perseus out for 50 percent water changes but I check the temp in his tank water and the temp of the refill water before I add it and get them to same or close to same temp as I can. Never any problems and he loves to play in the refill water as I pour it in, he likes how it swirls him around...lol I do pour it in slowly and watch him for a few mins before adding anymore refill water to see if he acts alright.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
DiiQue

Thanks everyone for the very useful information. If I can get away without having to cup or remove "Doctor Z" from his tank, that would be great. He is new, but is very healthy and active (was pale white when he was in that small department store cup). Half the surface water in his tank now is comprised of bubbles, so I know he is very happy right now. I'll match the temps as close as possible and do the change with him in the tank then.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #10 
DiiQue

I was able to do the 50% change and Doctor Z was thrilled with the new water I was pouring in slowly. For a second there it looked like he thought he was a salmon and wanted to swim upstream. LOL. My only regret with the process was that his "bubble kingdom" was completely destroyed, but he is currently rebuilding.

I took water readings of the old water and it was Ph 7.6, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5ppm. Does these sound like good readings for a 1.5g tank?