Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #11 
Shirleythebetta

I don't know much about readings but I think the ammonia should be 0 I could be wrong I don't remember numbers to well. Great for a business student eh?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah ammonia and nitrite should both be 0ppm if you have any livestock in your tank and nitrates generally anything under 15-20ppm is acceptable. But I never check my nitrates since I have live plants in all my tanks.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 
DiiQue

I didn't have time to check the levels with the new water because both my newborn and 4yr old were wailing away. Given that the readings were from the old water, I'm guessing the ammonia levels should be even lower with the new water being added (will check tomorrow to see where they are at).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
I was able to do the 50% change and Doctor Z was thrilled with the new water I was pouring in slowly. For a second there it looked like he thought he was a salmon and wanted to swim upstream. LOL. My only regret with the process was that his "bubble kingdom" was completely destroyed, but he is currently rebuilding.

I took water readings of the old water and it was Ph 7.6, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5ppm. Does these sound like good readings for a 1.5g tank?
Glad to hear all went well. Yes your water tests of the old water are "normal". My 10g tank takes about 5 days to get an ammonia reading of .25 and that's when I do a 50% water change. With your tank only being a 1.5g you probably should do water changes more often or a bigger % when you do them. When 3 of my 5 were in 1g containers I did a 100% water change weekly but I never tested the water. I would take everything out so I could rinse the crud out of the substrate. If it's possible I would strongly suggest getting at least a 5g tank, Doctor Z would love it. I was amazed at the difference it made moving my males into their own 10g tanks. Berry was never as active in his 1g bowl as he is in his 10g. Just a thought to consider.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Is this a filtered tank and what kind of dechlorinator are you using, how much and how often on the food/feeding....if any left over do you remove it, any other livestock in the tank other than the Betta...like shrimp/snails and any live plants....also, type of testing product....

Ammonia at 0.25ppm can be expected on water change day...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #16 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Is this a filtered tank and what kind of dechlorinator are you using, how much and how often on the food/feeding....if any left over do you remove it, any other livestock in the tank other than the Betta...like shrimp/snails and any live plants....also, type of testing product....

Ammonia at 0.25ppm can be expected on water change day...
It's a filtered tank with three stemmed, leafy plants (don't know what kind they are at the moment, haven't done the research). I'm using the stock Whisper system that came with it. Just had to baffle the outflow and reduced the air intake. I'm using the Tetra AquaSafe (only thing available where I am at). As for food, right now the little guy is only eating freeze dried bloodworms - I feed him 3 a day, which he gobbles up in seconds. I am waiting on the good pellets that I ordered online, the local stuff he did not like (spit it out and just forgot about). I remove everything he doesn't eat right away. The tank is heated at a constant 80. I also did a light vacuum of crud that was sitting on top of the substrate.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the plant species and if they are thriving or not....(Post a pic and maybe we can ID them) with proper color temp light and photoperiod. And since you show a slight ammonia reading either it is due to the dechlorinator and/or the plants are not in active growth to use the ammonia for food.

In 1.5gal with a filter....water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include a light vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots to maintain water quality and once the live plants are in active growth-you could decrease that to 50% with light vacuum weekly to maintain water quality.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

How long has the tank been setup, how long have the plants been in the tank, and you run the filter all the time-only turning it off for water changes....correct....have you added any plant ferts or any other additives beside the dechlorinator and its fine btw...

Water test are with the liquid reagent or strips and you did do test on the source water...one with dechlorinator and one without to make sure additives are not causing false results....correct.....

Betta is acting fine??? often the Betta is the best tester along with power of observation.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #18 
DiiQue

Betta is really happy.. making another bubble kingdom. He is also swimming everywhere. I can send pics of the tank and will do another reading for the ammonia when I get home tonight.

The readings I took and posted the results for were from the old water I had removed. I was just curious of what the readings would be after the third day with the fish inside. I was thinking the ammonia would be a lot higher than what it ended up being.

The tank (along with the current plant) had been set up for about 2 weeks prior, with the filter running all the time. I have the ecoComplete substrate in there. I was going to use it for the fish in my avatar when he arrived first week of August but a couple of people recommended I get a bigger tank - a 5gallon is on its way. So I had an extra tank with nothing in it all prepped for fish (and my wife and 4yr old were making fun of me for not having any fish) so I did a local rescue and picked up the CT. He was the worse looking of the bunch (manager said he was from the last shipment) but I noticed he was still a fighter, as he was flaring against some of the new arrivals (all had bright colors except him). Anyways, his color has returned and he seems to be thriving.

I used the API Master test kit, the ones with the liquid drops. When that kit first came in, I did test out my tap and everything was zero. I didn't do a test with just the dechlorinated water though.

Last edited by DiiQue; 07-26-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: mispelled "swimming"
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #19 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
A healthy Betta can tolerate some water temp difference with partial water changes....I would leave him in the tank and slowly add the fresh dechlorinated water depending on how much difference the two temp are.

On my outside spawns the water right now is over 100F and I top them off and flush the tanks with a water hose that is roughly 68F from my well....The 5gal buckets get about 2-3 gal of the cold water and this will equalize the temps to roughly 85F more or less-Doesn't seem to bother either the adults or eggs or fry of varied ages....
In my 250gal tank with about 30 males will play in the cold water as it goes in...lol...I think they look forward to it in this heat this year....

You don't want to plop them in extreme temp different water-but with a healthy Betta adding cooler or warmer replacement water for partial water changes generally is not problematic.
I love how you always make things a bit simpler for us all here. Thanks DQ!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #20 
Bettanewbie60

[quote=Bettanewbie60;1172564]I love how you always make things a bit simpler for us all here. Thanks OFL! Sorry, I signed DQ earlier lol.

Last edited by Bettanewbie60; 07-26-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: posted wrong name
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote