Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
xXGalaxyXx

Looking for a tank divider!

Looking to buy a tank divider fit for a 5.5 Topfin aquarium (dimensions 16 in. long, 8.5 in. wide, and 9 in. tall), + some aquarium sealant to add it to my tank (if it's necessary at all, that is). I know it sounds silly considering how easy they are to make - however, I am A. Very, very clumsy and would probably screw up a lottt, and B. I can't find any aquarium sealant anywherreee. I've tried three petco's, one walmart, two petsmart's, and my LFS...none. I'm not entirely sure if I'll even need any, but from my understanding most homemade dividers require some sealant to attach them to the tank, so...
I'm not entirely sure how much this might cost, so name your price and I'll see what I can do. Also, I don't have a paypal (too young :c), so I will have to mail you the money.
Thanks!~
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #2 
CandiceMM

Ok so I have the same 5.5 aquarium, what I did was but the divider for the 10 gallon and cut it down to size. I was scared I would ruin it but I didn't, it fits perfectly! good luck, oh and I got it at Petsmart.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #3 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have cut down store-bought dividers and I also tried the method with the report covers and the needlepoint mesh you can buy at Michael's or Joanne's. I think the needlepoint mesh is easier, but do whatever works for you.

I got aquarium sealant at BOTH Petco and Petsmart but make sure you don't accidentally buy the black sealant instead of the clear. I just realized I did that with one of the tubes I bought.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

A non-permanent solution to hooking it to your tank is to use suction cups made for airline tubing. They sell 6 packs @ petco, Lees brand, the suction cups are very small so it doesn't take away from the look of your tank.

Also I understand your not crafty, but these are SUPER easy to make. Just measure them and slide the report covers on. Very simple :) I personally used TWO pieces of craft mesh to make it thicker and more stable... But i dunno. ;) I also used black mesh so it isn't as easy to see through as the clear.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

You can buy the aquarium sealant on petsmart.com and on a site I personally recommend. Aquariumguys.com. I buy it for my ornaments I make.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 
xXGalaxyXx

Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. But, and I'm not trying to be rude here, trust me when I say I have tried all of the methods posted here and not once was I able to get it to work. I haven't even gotten to a point were I would need aquarium sealant, really...I just can't get the measurements right at all or I cut something in half accidentally or something of the like goes wrong. I know you're all just trying to help me, and I really do appreciate it, but I'd rather not risk the lives of two betta's because of one of my silly mistakes going unnoticed. Besides, I've wasted over $40 in materials so far, and at the moment I only have about $9 left - not enough to even buy a storebought one from Petsmart!
So my question of 'does anyone think they can make me a divider fit for a 5.5 gallon topfin aquarium' still stands.
Thank you guys so much, and I seriously hope I didn't come off as rude >.<
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXGalaxyXx View Post
Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. But, and I'm not trying to be rude here, trust me when I say I have tried all of the methods posted here and not once was I able to get it to work. I haven't even gotten to a point were I would need aquarium sealant, really...I just can't get the measurements right at all or I cut something in half accidentally or something of the like goes wrong. I know you're all just trying to help me, and I really do appreciate it, but I'd rather not risk the lives of two betta's because of one of my silly mistakes going unnoticed. Besides, I've wasted over $40 in materials so far, and at the moment I only have about $9 left - not enough to even buy a storebought one from Petsmart!
So my question of 'does anyone think they can make me a divider fit for a 5.5 gallon topfin aquarium' still stands.
Thank you guys so much, and I seriously hope I didn't come off as rude >.<
Oh no you're not being rude :) Where do you live? Maybe in the betta classifieds section there's someone that lives near you that can make u one :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote