Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
TuckerLove

New Betta Help!

I picked up a new betta tonight. He was planned but unplanned lol. I saw him last week with a little bit of a tail. I felt bad the whole week because I passed him over. Well I went back to school today, and stopped by petsmart. Lets just say, he was there with even less of a tail and a dirty cup. I felt bad enough, that since they wouldnt give me a discount I bought him anyways.

Housing
What size is your tank? temp 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? room temp, warmer then his cup. About 78-79 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

I chose to just post housing because I just got him tonight.

I have AQ Salt, I heard to use it only if its serious fin rot/damage.

The circled area is just the tiny slither of a caudal tail he has. It blended in with the other fins, so I circled it, so you could see it.

How should I treat?
fyi,
He is NOT green. He is mostly blue with green and purple highlights. The flash made him green.

Last edited by TuckerLove; 07-23-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: pic coloring
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #2 
RainbowSocks

First, what a pretty boy!! :D

If there's black at the end of what fin he has left--that's some serious finrot that you'd want to treat with aquarium salt (1 teaspoon/gal for no more than 10 days, I believe). New fin growth, on the other hand, will be clear rather than black.

Regardless of finrot, I would add some Stress Coat or a similar something or other to help his fins grow back. Using a high-protein food will help boost his fin-growing-capabilities, too. You'll want to keep the water pristine to fight/prevent infections. If you can get your hands on some IAL, or even a ton of oak leaves, that'll add tannins (I think) to the water that your betta will love.

If he doesn't have an infection, seems to be energetic enough, swimming and eating well, and you aren't worried about him reaching the surface, I think you could put him in his permanent home with that Stress Coat. That'll make it easier to keep the water clean and temperature stable, too.

Notice I'm also a newbie, so hopefully someone else will chime in. ;P
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #3 
TuckerLove

He is in AQ right now with Stress Coat. I didnt see any blackness at the ends but Ill have to double check later today. He is very energetic. He was an unplanned, planned fish lol. I dont have a perm tank for him, since I dont get paid til the 30th which is monday. I couldnt bare to see him there any longer.
I can look for some oak leaves, I have tons of trees around me but I dont think any are oak.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #4 
RainbowSocks

'Course!

My betta is currently working on regrowing his caudal fin as well, and for the moment Stress Coat, clean water, and good food have been working wonders for him. :)
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 
TuckerLove

I couldnt find any oak trees around here :(

Do I change his water daily with the AQ salt? I know the longest treatment is 10 days max, how long should he stay and how often should I change it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

100% daily. If your Betta is stressed, 80%. It's bad for the Betta if it's already stressed. When you're done treating for 10 days, do a 100% change again with no salt and done. Sorry about his caudal.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote