Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #251 
Shirleythebetta

Yea he is good at getting the boys into trouble but they have a ball with him. I think it's his way of getting them to stop listening to people that will get you into trouble. That could backfire on him though.
His brother likes when we take him to "the fish store". It makes his mom and his sister mad though because he will listen to us and won't run away from us. All I have to do is tell him to keep his hand on the cart and he will stay right with me. He knows if he don't listen I will put him in the cart like a "baby" so he does what I say.

He Burried Emma today and moved my other dogs leads closer to the house so I won't have to walk out in the dark for late night pee's. I live right next to trees so he worries about wild animals. We get a lot of raccoons and deer here. The idea of a raccoon walking out of the brush on me scares him. We had one that went after our dogs once. It was reaching in to the kennel we used to keep them out in during the day since our yard can't be fenced in. It was walking in circles and falling over and licking itself a lot. It was sick so we had to shoot it sadly. I didn't want it to bite my dogs and it wouldn't run when we tryed to scare it off. We had to shoot another one that really freaked me out. It walked up onto my mother in laws front porch when the door was open and lights were on. They are very loud people and there were ten or so running around the house and talking. He went right on to the porch and stared in to the house. We had children there. I think there is something making them sick in the woods. There are barrels burried in the ground back there and Jeff thinks they are old oil drums from when there was a shop behind our house. We don't go in the woods now that we saw that. Theres an old collapsed building back there too. It looks like an addition to the old garage that closed in the 1970's.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 10-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #252 
Shirleythebetta

Doing a little ancestry work today. I am working on three trees. I have one client, one tree that belongs to another genealogist who needs a fresh pair of eyes on things and Jeff's tree. Jeff's tree is pretty much for fun anymore since it's basically together. My clients tree is giving me the worst of the problems because he doesn't know much about his family to give me a good start so I am working from almost nothing. The genealogist tree makes me look like a newbie at every turn LOL. The guy asked me for help and I haven't been able to help him much at all. Dramaqueen if you ever want me to do a tree for you let me know :)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #253 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thank you. We had some research done about 4 or 5 years ago and the woman charged us $1000 for it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #254 
Shirleythebetta

GEEZE! did she give it to you in a folder made of Gold? I am working for free in Genealogy right now. I plan on getting certified in it and I have to reach a certain amount of hours researching before I qualify. Once I am certified I plan on helping people in my spare time based on what they can afford to pay. I like doing it and it's exciting and fun for me. I have had a few people get mad at me when I discover what they knew about their family was wrong. One lady got so mad she hung up on her daughter. This woman didn't want her daughter to know that she was married four times and I was researching for the daughter. I showed the daughter what I found and she called her mom to see if she would talk about it and she hung up on her. That lady was all confused and couldn't understand how I figured that out. I had this one sweet old man once who asked me to find his brothers death certificate. I found it and he cryed because he never knew his brothers name. One of his parents killed him when he was two and because of that they wouldn't talk to him. He wanted to know his brothers name and if he indeed was murdered. In cause of death it said, "Blunt force trauma, cause of death, homicide" He was pretty greatful to finally know what happened even though he didn't know which parent did it. He was told two different things. One story came from his mom who told him his dad killed him. The other came from his moms sister who said his mom killed him and the dad went to jail for her because she was pregnant. That's something only the parents would know so that's not possible to figure out. It was a sad story but I am glad I was able to answer a couple of his questions.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #255 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, what a story! We have a whole folder full of stuff. The woman charged for gas when she had to go to different places to do research. She didn't do it all online.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #256 
Shirleythebetta

Ahh, I see. I haven't done a ton of footwork yet. I have had to walk cemetery's and look at cemetery records but not much library or archive work.
It was quit a story, pretty heartbreaking.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #257 
Shirleythebetta

I am getting irritated at some people on here that have this preconceived notion that they are constantly mimicking the environment in Thailand. I have been doing the research and guess what? The temps in Tailand don't stay at 76 to 78! Who knew. Thailand has three seasons in one part of the country and two in another and some times of the year it gets as low as 64f and as high as 98f. I get the temp needs of 76 for fish that are domestic but people need to research more before they say that domestic fish need the same as wild fish. They don't obviously need the same climate. A domestic fish will die like that. All they have to do is google it LOL. I put in "What are the average temperatures in Thailand and got all kinds of info. Most sites were travel sites and said 18C to 37C was the average. in Northeast Thailand the temps can get as low as 8C in the cool season. Now I am going to dig around and see what portion of the country most bettas come from. I am betting south. Hmmm. I hate my researching brain. I am not really aggravated I guess I am more curious about the information people are putting out. They say all the time that Thailand is always tropical but it isn't. The weather changes with the seasons.

I can't find a straight answer on where they come from naturally, what portion of Thailand to be exact. All over or a certain part. Now I am sleuthing.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 10-29-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #258 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard people say that temperature fluctuations are bad and I'm sure extreme fluctuations are bad but mine have lived with temperature fluctuations for years and have been fine.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #259 
Shirleythebetta

Mine have too, mild ones. Nothing too extreme. I think I am going to try and make a powerpoint presentation for fun and maybe to show people about their natural habitats that they are found and how domestic and wild fish have different needs. They are often compaired too much to each other when they are born into two different environments. I want to see how that really affects wild and domestic fish. I am thinking it's going to turn out to be similar to that whole PETA argument about if domestic dogs and cats could survive in the wild. I want to hopefully show the end result to family members who have gotten interested in bettas because of me. My dad for instance doesn't understand why he can't keep one alive but won't listen to anyone on their proper care. He told me to throw my new betta in a mud puddle once when he took me fish shopping and I f reaked out because it was sitting close to an open window when it was chilly out. He said to throw it in a mud puddle and it would be okay.

Well the wind is here from Hurricane Sandy. Lucky me I am right in the high wind advisory. It isn't too bad yet but it's supposed to get a little worse tomorrow. It's not that bad here. I am crossing my fingers for those who stayed in the middle of this though. What's sad is I don't think I will be able to hand out candy with my mom and sister this year. It's supposed to be 25 mile an hour winds and raining so I don't think that many parents are going to be taking their little ones out into that.

I am so excited. It costed 70 dollars but I was able to get this rare vintage christmas countdown calendar that my mother in law wanted. I thought the story was really sad so I have been rummaging through ebay to try and find it. She had a son that died from a bone marrow transplant and he was only 23. When he was a little boy she used to do this christmas calendar with him where he moved the little figure from pocket to pocket. She let him have it when he moved out because he wanted it and after he died she asked his wife if she could have it back and his wife wouldn't let her. She told her it got ate by rats. She has a new one now though coming this week. Jeff is happy he really wanted to get it for her.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #260 
dramaqueen
Banned

We're getting the wind, too. At least it won't be as bad as Ike. Ike took our roof off.