Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #1 
KylieLE

HELP!! First time betta owner! FIN ROT!

I don't want my fishy Mellark to die!!
I thought (stupidly, I'll admit) that betta fish were hearty, easy to care for fish. I have him in about a 3 gallon? I dont know the size, its a critter carrier, but its pretty big. Anyways, I plan on putting him into my 10 gallon once I get it all cleaned out and such.
I have no heater, filter or chemicals to treat the water (Didnt know I needed it, everyone I've ever known with a betta fish just had em in little bowls and such!) I got him about a week ago. He was fine, until I did a 25% water change yesterday! Now the water is all cloudy, and his fins are fraying/tattered and idk what to do!! he's still swimming around, and appears to be oblivious to the fact that his fins are not how they should be.

I read a lot about aquarium salt! I'm going to get some of that. What should I get for "treating" the water? And I read something about cycling, please, can someone explain that?
Again, I'm new to betta fish, never really had any fish of any sort. I'll try and get a picture, but the water is cloudy and hes never still (not to mention its gonna be from on my phone)

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

I'm kind of freaking out :( Dont want my lil buddy to die!
KylieLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 
cjconcepcion

bettas rarely die of fin rot if you catch it early enough (which i assume you did). could you please post a picture of him so we could see how bad it is? do a 100% water change right now, and get some aquarium salt when you can. best thing for him right now is to be in water that is in pristine condition
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 
cjconcepcion

also, get a heater asap, right now its more important to him than the aquarium salt
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Water changes, water changes, water changes. You will need to do water changes most likely daily until it clears up. It may take a little while but it does work.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #5 
KylieLE

I just did a water change, he's sitting in the container I got him in, inside the water so as not to shock him incase the temps are different, for an hour. Correct? (with air room)
Thanks! I will get the heater asap! when my bf gets home.

how do you upload a picture, its not on a website its on my computer :S I wish i wasnt so computer illiterate :P
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

I agree. The most Important thing right this second is WATER CONDITIONER. Also to heal well, as others said, heated water about 80 degrees... Do daily 100% water changes & add aquarium salt to his water for 7 days (anything 10 days or longer will harm him)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieLE View Post
I just did a water change, he's sitting in the container I got him in, inside the water so as not to shock him incase the temps are different, for an hour. Correct? (with air room)
Thanks! I will get the heater asap! when my bf gets home.

how do you upload a picture, its not on a website its on my computer :S I wish i wasnt so computer illiterate :P
If you join photobucket, upload the picture & post the link here. Make sure you float your betta in the new water for at least 30 minutes before releasing him.

Also make sure the heater you get is ADJUSTABLE and has a THERMOSTAT. It will day if it has it on the box, this is important.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #8 
KylieLE

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kyliethegreatt
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 
KylieLE

ALSO, he is a halfmoon. looks more like a crowntail now :/ sorry the pics are so blurry..
Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #10 
KylieLE

http://s1173.photobucket.com/albums/...ylie_Bo_Bylie/