Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #11 
cjconcepcion

to be completely honest, that dosent look like fin rot IMO. it looks like tail biting. dont medicate him with anything besides aquarium salt. see if the edges where its tattered turn black within the next few days
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #12 
KylieLE

I just got back from petsmart now.
I got aquarium salt (which I put in) and water conditioner (should I put that in? Or wait until I'm done with the aquarium salt?) Should I still be doing the everyday 100% water changes if its not fin rot?
I also got a heater and a thermometer. As of right now the water is 78F. But I just hooked the heater up so I expect it to change.
KylieLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieLE View Post
I just got back from petsmart now.
I got aquarium salt (which I put in) and water conditioner (should I put that in? Or wait until I'm done with the aquarium salt?) Should I still be doing the everyday 100% water changes if its not fin rot?
I also got a heater and a thermometer. As of right now the water is 78F. But I just hooked the heater up so I expect it to change.
I'm glad to hear you got him a heater! :D
Yes, put the water conditioner in ASAP. Without water conditioner, the chlorine & metals in your water will kill him. Always use water conditioner, be sure to read the instructions on the back, i add a few extra drops of conditioner in the summer because chlorine levels are raised because more nasties want to get into our water because of the heat.

Yes, while using AQ salt, 100% daily water changes are necessary. If you need any more help, let us know. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #14 
KylieLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I'm glad to hear you got him a heater! :D
Yes, put the water conditioner in ASAP. Without water conditioner, the chlorine & metals in your water will kill him. Always use water conditioner, be sure to read the instructions on the back, i add a few extra drops of conditioner in the summer because chlorine levels are raised because more nasties want to get into our water because of the heat.

Yes, while using AQ salt, 100% daily water changes are necessary. If you need any more help, let us know. :)
Thank you for all your help :) I was completely lost with what to do! I also got a mystery snail, hes orange :P my favorite colour! :D :D and Mellark doesnt seem to even notice him in there. hes still chasing his reflection! All day, everyday he chases his reflection :P its cute and funny!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

How cute! Be sure to keep track of your ammonia levels, snails create a bigger bio load, it's like having another fish.

Also remove your snail from his tank! I heard that they don't do well with salt in their tank. You can keep your snail in a separate container until your betta is done with the AQ salt treatment. Be sure to use water conditioner in the snail's water as well :)

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-25-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #16 
KylieLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
How cute! Be sure to keep track of your ammonia levels, snails create a bigger bio load, it's like having another fish.

Also remove your snail from his tank! I heard that they don't do well with salt in their tank. You can keep your snail in a separate container until your betta is done with the AQ salt treatment. Be sure to use water conditioner in the snail's water as well :)
Good thing I mentioned getting the snail!! He was sitting at the bottom of the tank just half in half out of his shell. Once I put him in his own saltless water, he came out of his shell! Thanks for that :P
Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieLE View Post
Good thing I mentioned getting the snail!! He was sitting at the bottom of the tank just half in half out of his shell. Once I put him in his own saltless water, he came out of his shell! Thanks for that :P
No Problem, I'm glad you mentioned it as well ;P
Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #18 
KevinPham123

Mellarks a really good looking betta. Just do what the above say, heater, water conditioner and water changes. He will get better.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote