Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Help, Betta might be dying!

Hi recently I was going to get a 10g tank for my Bettas but my mom couldn't get to the store recently since it always closes, and she had to write her real estate test so I had no time to get it so my Bettas are still stuck in that tiny tank with the divider :'(

Yesterday my friend cleaned my bettas tank I told her what to do I was sick wit ha flu and was unable to do it, my friend just came over to help me out. I asked her to clean my tank and when she was she was trying to catch my fish with the net, Ren my crowntail kept swimming hitting the rocks, smashing next to the side, hitting the rocks, smashing into the fake spikey plant and then my friend finally caught him I didn't see, but she told me every detail and then she put him in a bowl larger then the tank with warm tap water.

When the tank was clean she put Ren back in his tank and he started to swim as fast as he could down the tank and then lay down, whenever I put my hand over the tank usually they BOTH come up but he is to scared to come up to the top of the tank, whenever I move or go near him he runs away and bursts in his fake plant, but of course I was suppose to get a new one along with the 10g tank this stupid plant is plastic and so spikey, so he swims as fast as he can from it then finds another spot to lay down. Now he lays down next to the divider and my other Betta figured out he was there so then he can fit his face into the small holes of the divider and bite him, so now Ren was bit 2 times, he keeps laying down next to the divider and when he does as fast as I can I put my hand over my other bettas tank so he can come up, I have to gently tap on the glass or even move it just to get him away from the diver. Right now he is under the face plant, laying down under it. And when he comes up to get a breath he rushes as fast as possible and speeds back down. But usually he just lays down at the bottom of the tank, was it because the net crushed him? And now he is scared, he use to be brave & strong didn't care about anything but ever since today? He also use to swim to the front and look & stare at me for hours and follow my finger please help...

Please help, please do not tell me he is dying..................
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 
Panama Bliss

Location: Chino Hills California, Honolulu Hawaii, Los Angeles California
Wink

He is more than likely stressed out. Add some stress coat to the water and that may help. However, he may have sustained an injury while u were trying to extract him. He needs to heal, if he was dying, he would be at the top of the surface breathing heavy and hard. But it sounds like he is stressed. Stress Coat and put the other betta in another bowl to help keep the stress down. Good luck
Panama Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I agree with Panama Bliss regarding the stress coat. You didn't mention if you had a heater or not. If you do turn it up to 78-80 degrees it will help. I would try to put something in the tank next to the divider to prevent the other betta from bitting him. Also I would remove the plastic plant that has sharp points. You don't want your betta getting any more injuries. Just continue to condition the water and keep up on water changes.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 
Link592

I don't have a heater, I removed the plants I sadly don't stress coat ether, I was suppose to get a 10g tank with everything I need & proper supplies but I coudln't so at the moment I don't have much.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #5 
Aus

1. Remove him to the bowl your friend used. Now. And place it in the warmest area of the house.

1a. - don't just plop him in - acclimate him by floating him, adding a little new water the old every few mins.

2. Make sure your friend used dechlorinator/water conditoner when she changed the water, including in the bowl.

3. Get some aquarium or kosher salt. Use 1 TEAspoon per gallon of water.

4. Keep him somewhere dark and quiet. Do NOT poke, tap, prod or otherwise bother him if it can helped. Keep his water clean.

5. Throw the SPIKY plant -away-!

Last edited by Aus; 07-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 
Link592

I took out the spikey plant, so right now my halfmoon is in this really big bowl [A container you can use to eat food..etc very big, hes actually enjoying it and swimming around a lot, and warming it up I added stuff in so he can breath and survive.

My crowntail still is the same, I left him in the tank by himself, he is laying down at some points but then some points he will swim around, he is still rushing to the top and swimming as fast as he can down. Not much changes, I took the divider out so I am hoping that will help him.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #7 
Panama Bliss

Location: Chino Hills California, Honolulu Hawaii, Los Angeles California
Hang in there, he will be alright. Time and peace. Best healers.
Panama Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #8 
Link592

Update:

So I put him in a dark room for the night with the door closed, and it was a warm room he was still laying down so I picked up the small tank and moved him to my desk I fed him some food and he started to swim around a little bit more, he will come up when I put my hand over the tank but, he is still startled. He continues to lay down on the tank when there's no action also when hes swimming every few seconds its like swimming nice and slowly and then PUSH through the water, swim nice and slowly and then PUSH through the water so what should I do about this now?

I don't have much time since my other Betta is living in a plastic eating container with no lid on [He doesn't know how to jump] and every time the water goes cold I have to take some out and fill it with warm water to heat it up.