Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #1 
clarkk

Exclamation Preparing for a MOVE!!

My beautiful, white betta fish, Vasco, and I are preparing for a move up to college in Erie, PA, about a two-hour drive from my current residence.

I'm wondering...should I change what I'm doing?
Vasco is currently in a cylindrical vase that holds about one gallon of water. I treat his water with AquaSafe or BettaSafe, whichever is on hand. He currently does not have a heater and he does not have a filter.

Since I'm moving up to Erie in about twenty days, I'm wondering if I should get a heater and a bigger tank. The temperatures of the room in which I'm living will not be in my control, and I'm nervous he'll react poorly to these changes in environment, temperature, and water. Help!

If I should get a heater, how should I go about acclimating my fish to it? And how high of a temperature should I put it at? Currently, Vasco is suffering form a bout of fin rot, so I'm nervous about increasing the size of his tank due to water changes and the area I'm living in.

Have any of you moved your betta? Do you have any advice? HELPPP!!!
clarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

No worries! I've moved my bettas around between tanks, and over a 2000 mile move! And am also moving my 3 boys 2 hours to school in a few weeks. First of all I would say a bigger tank would be fabulous for him, and less work for you. A heater will be a great thing to have in the new environment since you won't have control over the temp, flucuations would be more stressful than a heater. If you purchase a new tank, I would just set it up initially at college when you get there let it run while you unpack everything and then put him in the new tank. Even with fin rot, the cleaner new water and the water being warmer will improve the rate at which he recovers. As to adjusting to a heater, just after the tank has been running for a few hours, let him float inside a cup (if you still have the one he was purchased in) inside the tank, then add some of the tank water every 10-15 mins maybe 2-3 times, then he should be plently acclimated to the new temperature. Best of luck!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
fishysrfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
No worries! I've moved my bettas around between tanks, and over a 2000 mile move! And am also moving my 3 boys 2 hours to school in a few weeks. First of all I would say a bigger tank would be fabulous for him, and less work for you. A heater will be a great thing to have in the new environment since you won't have control over the temp, flucuations would be more stressful than a heater. If you purchase a new tank, I would just set it up initially at college when you get there let it run while you unpack everything and then put him in the new tank. Even with fin rot, the cleaner new water and the water being warmer will improve the rate at which he recovers. As to adjusting to a heater, just after the tank has been running for a few hours, let him float inside a cup (if you still have the one he was purchased in) inside the tank, then add some of the tank water every 10-15 mins maybe 2-3 times, then he should be plently acclimated to the new temperature. Best of luck!
I agree with this but if you get a bigger tank you might want to get a small Hang on back filter
Good Luck
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #4 
SparklE fin

Hello and welcome! I would put him in a cup you bought him in and in a cup holder with small towel. But starve him for a day before moving. Keep him away from direct sunlight and away from your windows and air conditioner. Be easy on the turns and stops because i freaks them out
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote