Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 
914joe

Question DIY Betta fillter ?

I came across this clip on youtube ,do these things work ,is anyone here using somthing like this on there tank .there are three parts to this video this is the link to part 1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bVel...=UL6eh7ot5Krwg

Last edited by 914joe; 07-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 
lvandert

omg thaitybetta... We have a bit of a stigma about that certain youtube person. The verbally abused a very well established breeder on here for their method of breeding. that story is here---> http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ht=Thaitybetta

As for the filter, its a simple sponge filter. I have one in my baby tank right now. They work pretty well I like it. And its a lot easier than he is making it out to be. Get a sponge from the store (preferably one without an abrasive side). If its to big cut it to fit. Once cut take a wooden pencil and make a hole on one end, don't poke it all the way through. Get an air pump, a control valve, some air tubing, and a few clips with suction cups. Cut your air tube into two sections; one end shove into the hole in the sponge, the other attach to the air pump. Connect those with the control valve. Put your clips on the hose and suction cup it to the side of the tank. Plug it in and adjust the valve to a setting your comfy with.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 
914joe

Thanks Ivandert for the info on the filter,sorry i did not know about this guy.I came across some other videos on using empty water bottles with cut up straws would you know anything about this type of filter and how well they work if at all.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 
choob99

I use sponge filters in all of mine and they are so cheap you might as well just buy them from the pet store or online somewhere, IMHO. They don't cost much at all
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #5 
914joe

Choob99 can you tell me what brand you use, and if they are big i want to use it in a 2 1/2 gallon tank .Are they easy to find at a local pet store like a petco.Are there any known good filter's that are specifically made for betta fish that work well.what i mean is i read post's of people having to attach bottles to there filter or sponges so it wont blow their fish all over the place is there any that work great straight out of the box with no modifications.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Thanks Ivandert for the info on the filter,sorry i did not know about this guy.I came across some other videos on using empty water bottles with cut up straws would you know anything about this type of filter and how well they work if at all.
Oh don't worry about it, we don't have anything against you for liking him, just him lol. The empty water bottle and cut up straws is a new one for me.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 
914joe

I don't like him he sounds like a know it all,i was looking for simple diy self filters and he was just one of the many that poped up.Here is a link to the filter i was talking about with the straws ,it is really supposed to be made with some type of media that is called k1, it is a little pricey so some people say you can use straw's instead of the actual k1 media.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_N3LvpNZV4
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 
lvandert

huh thats cool! I've never seen a filter like that.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #9 
914joe

From what i have read it is a biological filter something to do with the beneficial bacteria.here is a link to a diy using the real k1 media a little different because he also put a sponge in his .http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...M0c5P245A&NR=1
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #10 
lvandert

neat. I might have to make one of these one day.