Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 
AlyssaHampson

Arrow My Betta is Dying!

I’ve had Jonah for 3 weeks now and since the day I got him he hasn’t eaten. I clean his tank regularly 1-2 times per week. He’s in a 1 gallon tank. He has a heater that is supposed to keep his tank a constant 78 degrees; however my thermometer says it’s about 76 degrees. I have never seen him swim below the surface. He is constantly laying at the surface on his side. His behavior hasn’t changed in 3 weeks! I think he may be greying a little. I try to feed him 2 pellets every morning but they eventually just sink to the bottom untouched. Does anyone know why he might be so lethargic? Here is a photo of him in a cup while I’m changing his water…
AlyssaHampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I bought a yellow male several months ago that would pretty much do nothing but hide in his cave, occasionally he'd come out swim around & go back. He WOULD NOT eat anything and he eventually died. My point is sometimes there just isn't anything you can do. When you say tank, does it have a filter? I had a 1g aquarium and the filtration in that small of a space was too much for any of the Bettas I housed in it, I ended up not using it. My one Male would be fine for about 24hrs in the 1g aquarium then he'd float at the top like he was dying or dead, he also wouldn't eat. I'd take him out & put him back in the cup he came in from the store, within a few hours he'd be fine. I tried him in the 1g aquarium 2 or 3 times and each time had the same result. He's now in a 10g with no problems, loving his life. I'm sorry I don't have any great advice to give you. Have you tried a different type of food? I had to use freeze dried blood worms for a little while with one of mine, he's back on pellets now.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyssaHampson View Post
Iíve had Jonah for 3 weeks now and since the day I got him he hasnít eaten. I clean his tank regularly 1-2 times per week. Heís in a 1 gallon tank. He has a heater that is supposed to keep his tank a constant 78 degrees; however my thermometer says itís about 76 degrees. I have never seen him swim below the surface. He is constantly laying at the surface on his side. His behavior hasnít changed in 3 weeks! I think he may be greying a little. I try to feed him 2 pellets every morning but they eventually just sink to the bottom untouched. Does anyone know why he might be so lethargic? Here is a photo of him in a cup while Iím changing his waterÖ
You should be cleaning a 1 gallon every other day. 100%
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

According to old fish lady you only need to do the 2X a week, even with a 1 gallon tank.

Are you sure he is not eating? There is no poop on the bottom of the tank at all?

it looks like his tummy is a bit big in the pic. I wonder if he has internal parasites?

I had a male CT that did not eat for a month, I though he was gonna die but he eventually did start to eat. He had the slow acting version of columnaris :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #5 
kx20

Omg i hope he doesnt die!!:( i wish you the best of luck. maybe you should try different types of food, but im not sure if that will help in your case he could be very sick. I hope he starts to get better
kx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #6 
Seki

I'm so sorry, I hope your little guy is feeling better soon! Have you tried an epsom salt treatment? I know you said he hasn't been eating, but if he is constipated, that might help. Also, epsom salt seems to be a conservative treatment for many things, so I'm 99% sure it can't hurt to give it a try. The dosage that was recommended to me was 1 tsp. per gallon. Make sure you dissolve it completely in a bit of water (tank water) before you add it into the tank with him.

I had a similar problem with my first betta, although it wasn't nearly so drawn out like this is. Mine didn't make it, but your little guy sounds like one heck of a fighter! I really hope he's feeling better soon. PM OldFishLady, she is an amazing help. :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #7 
vP H O T O Nv

Have you attempted any other food? My Betta's refuse to eat pellets, only blood worms, and the tetra betta crap fish flakes.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #8 
lvandert

in a gallon tank you need to change the water every other day... So your probably dealing with ammonia poisoning/burn but that will clear up once the water changes are proper. But your real problem seems to be his big ol belly. If you havent been able to get him to eat and its still that big then you have internal parasites. I would go and get unscented epsom salt and start a 2tsp per gallon treatment right away.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote