Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #11 
pinkcupid765

Omigosh! He's too cute! You found him at a store??? >.> How??? Do want! haha
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 
KevinPham123

Wish I had a betta like that! Good find.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #13 
Lost Eventide

Yup, found him at a store~ Though quite frankly, that store usually does have a couple really nice bettas mixed in if you go there on the right day. I'm just surprised he was still there seeing they usually get shipments in on Thursdays, so he was there for nearly a week.

Though admittedly the aquarium hobby isn't really huge around here. There are a couple people that keep tanks, and a few more that keep bettas or goldfish (usually as easy pets in those vases or bowls), but if you browse around Craigslist or garage sales you don't really see too many aquariums in my town unless they were used for lizards or something.

Also, first feeding time this morning. After a measly three pellets Socrates has already figured out my finger means food, so he follows it all over the place. I also dropped the cap to the jug I use for water changes in the tank to see what he'd do, and he followed it all over the surface xD I'm going to try a smaller cap later when I get back from work I think.

He's settled in nicely though. He goes all over the tank, but it seems he's a rather laid back fellow seeing I haven't seen him flare once.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #14 
Lost Eventide

Figured I'd post an update seeing Socrates has really coloured up beautifully! He's got a lot more blue in him now, but his head is still white. I didn't really notice the change as it's been gradual, but I looked at his picture in the first post of this thread and there was a definite difference xDDD

He's a great eater and he's even more sociable and active than he was when I picked him up in the store. He comes over and dances whenever someone gets near his tank, and he still hasn't flared at anything in or around the aquarium. I did hold up a mirror to experiment and he flared (and what a nice flare he has, I'll have to try and get a picture of it. A friend of mine was over and she loved how big his fins get when he stretches them). However, the mirror is the only thing he'll flare at.

He also dive bombs food as it sinks. As long as he sees it it's not going anywhere xD
Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #15 
bananasammy8

He is so beautiful I wish I could find some with coloring like that. He really colored up!
bananasammy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #16 
Laki

Wow!! Look at the change in color! Cool!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #17 
twissfish

He's amazing! He was gorgeous in the first picture and now he's even more beautiful. Nice find and congrats on picking him up. I hope to see more pictures soon.
twissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #18 
a123andpoof

Wow! He is beautiful!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #19 
Enkil

I love his little yellow face!
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #20 
Lost Eventide

Thanks everyone! I ended up making a little video tonight to show him swimming around with the LED on. I also ended up getting a dual-output air pump with the 55g I was given and found an on/off connector for one of the tubes, so I have the bubble ring around the crystal hooked up now as well =3 I keep them off during the day because of the plants, but at night I'm going to start turning them on low (to avoid much of a current) seeing both Socrates and the plants use the oxygen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX9Ba9JNSJw]My Betta, Socrates - YouTube[/ame]

Lol, unfortunately I had a little mess up with how I was holding the phone while filming, and the video was sideways when I transferred it to my computer, hence it's really skinny seeing I had to rotate it |D; I'll have to make a new one at some point I guess.

I also changed out his sand today! I replaced the pool filter sand with Black Diamond blasting grit seeing I prefer the black (it makes his colours pop even more) and there's a very low silica content, so I'm hoping that'll help cut the diatom issue I was having.