Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
BettaKat

New to Bettas - new to fish!!

Hello there...
As the title clearly states, I am VERY new to owning a Betta, so new in fact that I don't even have it yet. I just bought the tank, heater, thermometer, water cleaner (don't know all the correct terms yet), but NOT the fish yet... I've done loads of research, for a reason I will get to later on in this thread, and they say you should get the tank ready before you bring the fish home... so, that is what I"m doing... I haven't even chosen my fish yet... :) That's why I say "watch this space" in my signature below.

I'm sure I will have loads of questions in the days to come, but for now, I am so excited to share my journey with all of you!

So, getting to the "REASON" why I did so much research... well, I'm not proud to say, but I got a Betta fish little under a week ago, and I put it in the tank, without any heater etc, just the tank, pebbles, and the fish (his name was Steven), and within 48 hours, he was dead... I was so upset, I love any living creature and I really was heartbroken that I could have killed an innocent creature :( So I thought to honor Steven, let me try again, but let me do it right this time... so, here I am!

I started off with Kevin, IN A BOWL... don't judge me, I had no idea... and he is still kicking, thanks to me doing research (GOOGLE :) ) and I got him a bigger tank with a filter etc... I don't have a heater in this tank, but I"m thinking of getting one...
I got another Gold fish, today in fact... she's pale pink in color... and I named her Candy, simply cause she resembles candy floss... ;)

They both seem happy... but like I say I'm sure I will have many questions to come in the upcoming weeks / months etc... I look forward to sharing my stories... ;)

WATCH THIS SPACE... :)
BettaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Hello & welcome to the forum!
I, too, have killed fish due to my lack of knowledge. What's even worse is that it took me killing THREE bettas to get the hint. Although I do feel guilty about it, I do what youre doing, in their honor I am taking excellent care of my two girls today. :)

When you say "water cleaner" do you mean, water conditioner, like to remove chlorine/metals from the tap water?

I'm glad to hear your betta will be taken care of and that you got a heater. Heaters are very important for these tropical fish and they are so active with them!

I'm not sure what tank your goldfish is in, but you know they get very big, correct? It depends on the type of goldfish you have but they grow anywhere from 6+ inches and need at least 30 gallons at full size (or more if you have one that grows even bigger than 6 inches).. also they are very messy fish, so keep track of your ammonia levels to ensure youre water change schedule is okay.

I hope you enjoy your time here :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaKat View Post
Hello there...
As the title clearly states, I am VERY new to owning a Betta, so new in fact that I don't even have it yet. I just bought the tank, heater, thermometer, water cleaner (don't know all the correct terms yet), but NOT the fish yet... I've done loads of research, for a reason I will get to later on in this thread, and they say you should get the tank ready before you bring the fish home... so, that is what I"m doing... I haven't even chosen my fish yet... :) That's why I say "watch this space" in my signature below.

I'm sure I will have loads of questions in the days to come, but for now, I am so excited to share my journey with all of you!

So, getting to the "REASON" why I did so much research... well, I'm not proud to say, but I got a Betta fish little under a week ago, and I put it in the tank, without any heater etc, just the tank, pebbles, and the fish (his name was Steven), and within 48 hours, he was dead... I was so upset, I love any living creature and I really was heartbroken that I could have killed an innocent creature :( So I thought to honor Steven, let me try again, but let me do it right this time... so, here I am!

I started off with Kevin, IN A BOWL... don't judge me, I had no idea... and he is still kicking, thanks to me doing research (GOOGLE :) ) and I got him a bigger tank with a filter etc... I don't have a heater in this tank, but I"m thinking of getting one...
I got another Gold fish, today in fact... she's pale pink in color... and I named her Candy, simply cause she resembles candy floss... ;)

They both seem happy... but like I say I'm sure I will have many questions to come in the upcoming weeks / months etc... I look forward to sharing my stories... ;)

WATCH THIS SPACE... :)
I'm relatively new to fish keeping too (I have had my betta for about a month!) and I've learned a lot from this forum about how to properly care for him! Feel free to ask any questions :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 
BettaBuddy123

Welcome! It certainly made me feel more confident in keeping my Betta knowing that there was a whole forum of knowledgeable people here to keep me on track. Good luck with your new Betta adventure and I can't wait to see what kind of fish you end up with!
BettaBuddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry about Steven. I was blessed to find this site the day I brought my first betta home. I knew NOTHING lol. The people here are really great and have a lot of information to answer your questions...I would be lost without them! Best of luck in your new betta journey!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 
BettaKat

Got my betta - larry

Hey everyone, well, I finally got my Betta fish!! And I couldnt be happier... he is absolutely stunning... he's a Crown tail (correct me if I'm wrong) - the ones with the "shredded" looking tail... he's a navy blue (shiny) with red "beard"... and he has such an awesome personality!!! I have some plants and barrels (ornaments) that he absolutely love... he has so much fun exploring and hiding in the barrels... he sleeps there too...
His name is Larry

I am a bit nervous about the first tank clean... I don't want to shock him by perhaps adding too much cold water or something... So I guessI need to be very careful! Any tips???
He seems very happy, and I'm so very glad! I will add photo's asap! :)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaKat View Post
Hey everyone, well, I finally got my Betta fish!! And I couldnt be happier... he is absolutely stunning... he's a Crown tail (correct me if I'm wrong) - the ones with the "shredded" looking tail... he's a navy blue (shiny) with red "beard"... and he has such an awesome personality!!! I have some plants and barrels (ornaments) that he absolutely love... he has so much fun exploring and hiding in the barrels... he sleeps there too...
His name is Larry

I am a bit nervous about the first tank clean... I don't want to shock him by perhaps adding too much cold water or something... So I guessI need to be very careful! Any tips???
He seems very happy, and I'm so very glad! I will add photo's asap! :)
Yay! Can't wait for pics!
With water Changes, everyone does it differently. But I put my betta in the cup she came in, unplug my heater & filter, clean it, fill with new water & plug everything back In. Then I float my betta in the cup in the tank for around 15 minutes or so. Then I use my finger to feel the cup water and the tank water. If they feel the same, release your betta. If they're noticeably different, float him until the water feels like the same temperature.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 
BettaKat

Some photos
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

BettaKat welcome to the forum and Yes be very careful when adding new water to your tank. What size is it ? Be sure the temp of the new water is the same as the water your Betta is in or as close as possible and be sure you add water conditioner to the new water. I have a 5 gallon tank and always fill up my 1 gallon jugs with about 1/4 hot water and the rest cold, add water conditioner and let them sit at room temp all day. Its best to have a thermometer to check the temp of the water.

I also have a crowntail he is so much fun only had him a couple of months and really loving him, he plays all day and only stops when at night when its lights out time around 9 or 10. Good luck and happy wishes for you and your Betta !

Larry is very pretty looks alot like my Perseus !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Yep, he's a crowntail (CT). is he black?