Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #1 
emilyjessica

Is his food too big?

My fish just seemed to have trouble eating a piece of his food (pellets). I've had him for almost a week now, and the only time something like this happened before was the first time I fed him, so I figured it was because it was different from what they were giving him at the store. But today was kind of different.

He held it just in his lips for a bit, and then finally put it in his mouth, but then he was making like... a chewing motion I guess. That's pretty normal I think, but while he was doing that it seemed that little crumbs of the food were coming out of his gills?? It freaked me out. Eventually he just spat the rest of the piece out. Was he choking? He's acting the same as he was before, so that's good at least.
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 
MistersMom

if you feel like its too big just smash it....
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjessica View Post
My fish just seemed to have trouble eating a piece of his food (pellets). I've had him for almost a week now, and the only time something like this happened before was the first time I fed him, so I figured it was because it was different from what they were giving him at the store. But today was kind of different.

He held it just in his lips for a bit, and then finally put it in his mouth, but then he was making like... a chewing motion I guess. That's pretty normal I think, but while he was doing that it seemed that little crumbs of the food were coming out of his gills?? It freaked me out. Eventually he just spat the rest of the piece out. Was he choking? He's acting the same as he was before, so that's good at least.
My betta often vigorously chews his food, too, but it's nothing to worry about; they are just chewing it, as they have teeth and strong jaws to crush the pellets. I'm no expert on bettas, but in some fish I have noticed they will filter food out through their gills sometimes... it is quite odd and kind of freaky! But I think their mouths are connected to an opening in the bottom part of their gills, so this is also normal. You can always try crushing the pellets into smaller pieces, or, you can let the pellet soak in the water for a couple seconds to soften it so that he doesn't have to chew as hard.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 
Kenny G

The best thing to do is to buy your betta the micro pellets. They are smaller and easier for betta's to eat and digest.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #5 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
The best thing to do is to buy your betta the micro pellets. They are smaller and easier for betta's to eat and digest.
+1
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 
DiiQue

Like Kenny said, get the smaller pellets. My little guy did the same thing when I bought some cheap stuff. I thought they were small as it is but as soon as the New Life Spectrum pellets arrive, man there was a big difference in size. He chomps on the NLS like they were bloodworms.. LOL.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes I agree the New Life Spectrum pellets are great and a perfect tiny size for little Betta mouths , Perseus loves them ! Had to order mine on line as my local pet shop dose not have them. Good luck in finding something small enough for your Betta and like others have said you can always try crashing them although I bet that would be messy dont know cause I have never had to try it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #8 
Kenny G

I used to chop my betta's big pellets up with a razor and it was time consuming. Plus if the pellets fall to the gravel my betta's will not eat it. (Yes I have picky crumb snatchers) So get the micro floating pellets.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #9 
emilyjessica

He won't eat if they fall to the bottom either. I'll consider ordering some smaller food, but for now I think he's fine. There hasn't been a problem since that one time, I just give him one at a time and make sure he's done chewing before the next one.
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote