Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

First Spawn Log

I have decided to begin my first spawn log. After doing plenty of reading and researching I purchased my pairs from
Karen Mac Auley and The Minnesota betta shop ( mnbettashop.com ).

This first spawn is to start a Half Moon Turquoise+royalblue Butterfly line. The male and female began the conditioning process today.

The foods I am using to condition are- Attison's betta pro and frozen (not freeze dried) blood worms and brine shrimp. They are fed twice a day and get water changes every other day. I also Scoop up any uneaten food. They are being kept in gallon jars to make the process much easier, with plants and no substrate.

The pair got some time to see each other today (about 5 minutes) because I removed the paper that keeps them from seeing each other. And so far so good. The male Flared like crazy and did his sexy dance ( the s shaped dance LOL) and she showed vertical bars and lowered her head. So I put back up the paper, and I'll keep the the viewing to a minimum.

I wanted to write a detailed spawn log so that for future reference people can see what goes into the process and I'm very excited so I'd like to document everything.

I'll post pictures of the pair when I can get them onto my computer.

The spawn tank I'll be using is a 20gal long that I'll temporarily divide so that this pair doesn't get lost or forget why they're there. They are young and fast/strong swimmers but seeing as this is my first time, I'd rather be safe. Also these are first time breeders.

So far I am thrilled to finally start a spawn log after stalking everyone else in the breeder section. Hopefully you guys will keep watch and I'll get some beautiful HM's!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 
VictorP

Good luck on the spawn I want to see the outcome positively!
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

Thanks! I really am excited!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Best of luck!
I might have to settle for watching other people's spawn grow so you better make it good!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

My boyfriend lets me use his D5100 so I promise IT WILL BE GOOD AND FULL OF PHOTOS!!!! I also have been studying a LOT. I didn't want to end up like the tons of posts I've seen where the OP knows nothing and has killed tons of babies and or the parents already before asking questions. I have emergency supplies on deck, 3 MW cultures going and bbs hatching so that I'm not stuck with tons of fry and no food. I am looking forward to a successful spawn
Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Have you gotten any advise about using a 20galon long for spawning?
The biggest I've used is a 10galon but I would be worried about the fry finding food in a 20gal as they will easily get through the divider.
Have you considered spawning in a smaller container and them transferring?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #7 
VictorP

You can always use a 5g
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

I asked a couple people and yes I can also set up my ten and transfer. If that is something more universally accepted as easier. I see your point about the fry finding food. Well then my spawning tank will be my ten gallon. I have 20 and 30 gal grow out tanks as well.

Last edited by Anitax3x; 07-25-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

It's better that way. I think its easier to feed live foods in smaller tanks for the first weeks. After that you can teach the fry where you will be dropping the food and wait for them to gather. Mine went crazy when I tapped on the glass.
Some breeders will leave them in small tanks up to a month old? Then you can transfer to the 30gal.
I can't wait to start seeing all these spawns posted!!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

Trust me, I am more than excited too! I'm trying to control myself from buying anymore pairs LOL