Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahi View Post
Hi,
your link doesn't work any more. Could you maybe just post the name of the tank?

Thanks!
Oh sorry about that!

The tank kit is the Marina goldfish starter kit - 1.77gal. And it's $19.99

The heater is the Marina betta mini heater - 8watts and it's $11.99
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
The whole setup would help out so many people. Good work, and i've never seen an 8w heater. pretty cool :)
Thank you :)
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #13 
kfryman

There was a thread created, almost like this one... It blew up in the persons face...

You cannot say, just go to Petsmart or Petco and get this. Some members don't have those petshops if they live in a small town or they live in a different country and they dont have something like it.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
There was a thread created, almost like this one... It blew up in the persons face...

You cannot say, just go to Petsmart or Petco and get this. Some members don't have those petshops if they live in a small town or they live in a different country and they dont have something like it.
Gee, thanks...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #15 
Sundancex

My problem with this set up, honestly, is everything. 1.77 gal is too small IMO. While I think a betta could be successfully kept in that size, the water changes would make it impractical. It is also really difficult to consistently heat a tank that size.

That isn't to say that you can't keep a betta on the cheap. You just have to get creative. Lots of places have large vases, I've seen some up to 3-4 gallons. They are usually inexpensive. At that size you would be ok with a 25 watt heater I think, and a heater that size is more reliable. An LED desk lamp can also "usually" be purchased inexpensively. So can a filter if you want that option. Low light plants like java fern can be used with just about any substrate. This would probably be an inexpensive, healthier, more attractive set up for a betta. ;)
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #16 
katrina89

everyone has amazon so they can look them up if they dont have a petco or petsmart
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

@Sundancex: You are entitled.

@Katrina89: Thank you.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #18 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancex View Post
My problem with this set up, honestly, is everything. 1.77 gal is too small IMO. While I think a betta could be successfully kept in that size, the water changes would make it impractical. It is also really difficult to consistently heat a tank that size.

That isn't to say that you can't keep a betta on the cheap. You just have to get creative. Lots of places have large vases, I've seen some up to 3-4 gallons. They are usually inexpensive. At that size you would be ok with a 25 watt heater I think, and a heater that size is more reliable. An LED desk lamp can also "usually" be purchased inexpensively. So can a filter if you want that option. Low light plants like java fern can be used with just about any substrate. This would probably be an inexpensive, healthier, more attractive set up for a betta. ;)

The suggested set up reminds me of my college days, to be honest. Now my bettas are in 5 gallon set ups because I have my own apartment. But back in the day when I was a broke college student in a double with a room mate, this would have worked better than my 1 gallon corner tank set up for about the same price. It was a beast to juggle 2-3 tanks this small since there where sudden ammonia spikes and lost temp moments. But it does work if you put a bit more effort into monitoring your water parameters. :3

Also, I've never liked vases for bettas because a vase is always tall with a small foot print. I've upgraded to the bookself tank by Petco because it's a 5 gallon with the foot print of a 10 gallon. That gives the betta way more room to swim horizontally and less distance to the surface. For someone on a budget, I would suggest a 3 gallon kritter keeper before a vase so the betta has more horizontal space.

Now the three of us can lie in wait for the member who bashes us all for not demanding a 5 gallon minimum.

But heaven help us if the 10 gallon minimum people show up.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #19 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post

I don't think it was an order, more like a suggestion. Obviously people who do not have a Petco/Petsmart are not going to go so its a non-issue and I don't get your beef with it. For those who do have one or both within a reasonable distance, then its a good suggestion as is the kritter keeper and as someone else said, there's always Amazon.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #20 
mamanemeth1

I've been taking GREAT care of my betta who for right now is in a 1 gal set-up until I can afford a bigger one for him. Have had him for 2 weeks now and I'd say I'm pretty proud of myself considering I thought my newbie-ness of bettas would not have him had lasted this long. It's not THAT MUCH of a hassle to keep up with cleaning the water, making sure it's heated well, so on and so forth. It helps to research.
mamanemeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote