Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #11 
Pataflafla

I think a divider would work for the platies. Once the babies get older you can sex them and separate them. If platies jump like mollies do, you have absoluting nothing to worry about.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #12 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Just wanted to give an update.

Purplius is SO much better! I treated him in just my 2.5 gallon rectangular tank, but at first I really only filled half of it because he was breathing so hard I wanted to make it very easy for him to reach the top. I put just a leaf hammock and a little place to hide (small cave thing), treated with salt and the only all-in-one treatment they had at my pet store. It seems to have worked. I did water changes every day. I cleaned out his 6.6 tank very well, cleaned the filter, kept the biological medium, and moved his tankmate to another tank of just platies. I also treat the water with peat granules because our water is so hard/alkaline. I put a little stress coat in his water also. I gave him a variety of foods as usual, and I've picked up another brand of pellets to add to the rotation. I did not get the Hikari because as someone has mentioned on another thread, they may have changed their formula. I chose the pellets based on whether soy, corn, or wheat is the main ingredient. I prefer fish or worms or insects to be the first few ingredients, not fillers. Hikari had more fillers than Omega-whatever.

The other day I put him back in his new tank after I tested the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. He looks SO happy and energetic. His gill still looks a little off, like someone here said it would, but I think he is going to be ok.

Thanks everyone, for your help. :) I will post pictures soon if my phone camera stops acting up.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gill, heavy breathing, labored breathing