Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 
914joe

Question Question about my ammonia test results

Hi, i purchased an ammonia test kit to have for when my new tank arrives, i decided to try it out on my betta bowl water and this is what i got it looks like 1.0 or in between 1.0 and 2.0 does this mean i need to change the water imediatly, or can i wait a couple of days .I did a partial or almost half change yesterday before i had the kit.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 
RainbowSocks

I would change your water right away. Any amount of ammonia is toxic to fish, so you want to keep the level as low as possible. Like between 0-0.25. (0 is better).

My tank is cycled so I don't have to worry about ammonia--hopefully others who do frequent water changes can pipe in about how often you ought to be changing your water.

How big is your betta's bowl? How often do you usually change the water?
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

looks like 1.0 to me. Change your water immediately! You want your ammonia to go no higher than .25! Did you test your tap water? sometimes people have ammonia in their tap water.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #4 
914joe

Thanks i will put him in a 2.5 gallon tomorrow morning i want to leave the water over night with conditioner in it .Teeny the betta i have not checked my tap water ,this is the first time i ever used this kit i am a noob,should i test the water in in his new home before i put him or after or does it not matter.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Thanks i will put him in a 2.5 gallon tomorrow morning i want to leave the water over night with conditioner in it .Teeny the betta i have not checked my tap water ,this is the first time i ever used this kit i am a noob,should i test the water in in his new home before i put him or after or does it not matter.
I would defenitely test the tap water, if it is zero- good. You need to do more water changes if it is not the tap water causing the ammonia.

For a 2.5 gal, do two water changes per week- 1 50% change and 1 100% change.

Lmk how he's doing tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

You don't need to wait overnight. Conditioner works instantly and at that level I would be doing a water change ASAP. Anything over 0ppm is harmful and at 1ppm which is what it looks like from your picture it is definitely going to be causing irritation to his gills etc.

I would do a 100% water change as otherwise there will still be ammonia present in your aquarium.

I would also test for ammonia coming out of the tap. It is not uncommon for there to be ammonia present in some tap water.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You don't need to wait overnight. Conditioner works instantly and at that level I would be doing a water change ASAP. Anything over 0ppm is harmful and at 1ppm which is what it looks like from your picture it is definitely going to be causing irritation to his gills etc.

I would do a 100% water change as otherwise there will still be ammonia present in your aquarium.

I would also test for ammonia coming out of the tap. It is not uncommon for there to be ammonia present in some tap water.
I agree.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 
914joe

littlebettafish what about the water temp will he go into shock ,i have had him for five days on the fourth day i changed half the water.I have never removed him from the bowl. What is the best way to remove him and get him into the new tank.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I usually just warm the water up from my tap until it feels approximately the same (if you have a thermometer even better) and if you are concerned you can float him around in the water until the temperature of the container he is in is the same as the new water.

Most bettas unless you are pouring them out into freezing cold/boiling hot water or water with completely different water chemistry are going to be fine with a 100% water change.

I usually just either cup my bettas out using a glass cup or just use my hand to catch and place them into a separate container.

Do you have gravel in your bowl (I am looking at your display picture)? If so I would give that a good rinse too as there is probably food, feces and debris trapped in there that will need removing.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
littlebettafish what about the water temp will he go into shock ,i have had him for five days on the fourth day i changed half the water.I have never removed him from the bowl. What is the best way to remove him and get him into the new tank.
Put your betta in the cup you bought him in or a bag (make sure he can get to the surface to breathe) make sure the water in the bowl is a decent temperature. Then float him in the cup in the new tank for 30 minutes so he gets used to the new temp.