Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Need answer REAL quick!

My room is going to have the AC on high because of how humid/hot it is outside.

What can I do to keep the tank warm? Should I wrap a scarf around it?

I don't have a heater because we normally don't use the AC like we are about to tonight.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #2 
atteb

Do you have a place in the home where its could be warmer? If so move him there.

If you have central AC he will be fine. Half of my bettas are in unheated quarters and we have central air and they are just fine.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #3 
KevinPham123

Not much you can do without a tank heater. If you are able to find an area in your house where it may be 'warmer' than the rest, leave the tank there. Recommend to provide a heater for the fish asap.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4 
Alcemistnv

He was put in the living room for now :)

And I'm not comfortable buying a heater now. It took me forever to get a filter and I'm scares to use it :(

The tank is almost always in the correct temperature range so i don't feel the need to get a heater ATM. :/
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5 
Frazzle

Some heaters have a setting so they turn off at 78 degrees. Any higher it's off. I would buy one ASAP and slap it in there
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 
atteb

Depending on the size of tank get one of those Hydor Mini Heaters 7.5 watt. I use these for my bettas and they are great, it will keep him at a comfortable temp and they are not expensive either.

He won't die if its to cold you just won't see much action out of him, but for overall health its best to keep them on the warmer side.

As for the filter, you don't need to put that in if you don't want to but do keep up with regular water changes for him. I do not use filters. Been keeping bettas way to long now and have done it both ways. I just prefer and see better results with no filter for my bettas but each to his own.

If the tank is a large one then you should put the filter on most of them you can adjust so the flow is not hard at all.

Hope this helps.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #7 
bahamut285

The most important thing is the stability of the temperature, not the actual temperature itself. I would get a heater anyway because unless you're checking the temperature for stability every few minutes/hours (depending on the size of your tank of course) and never sleeping at night to check it, it can and will fluctuate.

Hydors and Marineland heaters are AMAZING to have and are extremely reliable :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 
katrina89

put him on the top of the fridge... its the hottest place in the house
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #9 
Twilight Storm

Another option is just to close the air conditioning vents in your room if it won't get too hot for you. If it does maybe leave your door open to even out the temperature slightly so you don't roast. That way the room he's already in will be slightly warmer then the rest of the house will be. No real need to move the fish everywhere. If the room gets too warm you can always adjust the vents to let in some cold air rather then have them on full blast too.

Don't do this though if you have a medical condition or something where you are affected by heat. He should be fine though just keep an eye on his thermometer.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #10 
Made2party

Quote:
Originally Posted by atteb View Post
Do you have a place in the home where its could be warmer? If so move him there.

If you have central AC he will be fine. Half of my bettas are in unheated quarters and we have central air and they are just fine.
me to and my fish is great so true that LOL
Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote