Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #1 
pbloskas

Fluval spec vs Aqueon evolve

So it may be that this topic has been addressed, but I really need help. First, some background info:
My current tank has sprung a leak, so I'm having to keep my betta in a 1/2 gallon betta cube! (The light socket also randomly fell apart.) So I'm in a rush to replace the tank.
I was wanting to get one of the aqueon evolve tanks, but I went to my local Petco and saw it in person. I liked the design, but I noticed that the acrylic either had scratches on some models, or small, spiderweb like cracks(?) in the plastic. At least that's what it looked like. I then went to at least 3 other stores, and they all had either scratches or cracks! I LOVED the light, but I just couldn't get over the details of the body. Is this normal for acrylic? Anyway, I was shown a fluval spec aquarium and loved the tank, but I'm iffy on the led light. Is it powerful enough to keep live plants? I also want to get that water shimmer effect.
My question is: is the spec's light any good, and if y'all had to pick between the aqueon or the fluval, what would be your choice? Thanks, and sorry for posting AGAIN... Just I really need advice as I am tired or getting crappy tanks!
pbloskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I don't own either model but I've been there with the "crappy tanks" and it wasn't until I changed to glass aquariums that I finally found something I liked and don't want to change.
Acrylic scratches like mad, I would stay away if you're spending that kind of money.
Read all the reviews you can find (amazon, petsmart, petco, etc) as they will help you make a decision, that's what I did.
Good luck!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #3 
Lucile

I just ordered the fluval spec myself. I found it for a steal on wag.com (<40$ with the 15% off) Its such an elegant design and you cant beat glass. I havent gotten it yet or id say more.
Though reviews on amazon seem to imply that the LEDS fail fairly often
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop.../dp/B0047XMQBM
So maybe not if you want it on all the time.
Lucile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #4 
Sundancex

The Fluval tanks are beautiful. I highly recommend glass over acrylic. Acrylic scratches very easily! I'm not sure about the light, but if you find the light isn't working (IMO it should work for lowlight plants) you can get a Fluval 13 watt light which will give you PLENTY of light for the spec.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 
MSG

haha.... Acrylic scratches like mad.

I don't like acrylic anymore, I'm switching back to glass with protected edges.

I've tried crystal as a temporary tank, but the edges can chip easily.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #6 
pbloskas

Thanks for the responses!
So Im guessing the Spec is getting the nod here? Does anyone with the Aqueon agree? I really want the LED light, so the light is important to me, but I really want a nice, professional looking tank. Im not a fan of the acrylic, but I guess I can make do if they're not noticeable when its filled.
pbloskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #7 
Sundancex

There was a 3 gal glass tank I was looking at for $40...beautiful tank. Let me see if I can find it...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 
Sundancex

Found it!

Tank

You are basically getting an extra gallon (plus it has more horizontal space for a betta) for the same price. Beautiful tank IMO. I almost got it but I wanted something bigger. I ended up getting the Fluval EBI from wag.com for a little less than $90.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 
Twilight Storm

I've looked at both but I have only seen the evolve in person.

I examined the evolve 4 gallon in the store and the one I was looking at had no cracks or scratches. They were perfect. I REALLY wanted to get one but the price of the evolve keeps me from trying it. Maybe the ones you saw were mishandled in shipping, or affected by the recent heat wave or just people who didn't care how the tank "they weren't going to buy" was treated after they looked at it.

I don't own either but I was leaning to the spec as a future purchace. The light on it has bad reviews for burning out, but until that happens it works for low light plants. The Fluval kit made for plants is set up in our local pet store and it's huge and very nice but it's also $100.

Like Sundancex said you can easily replace the light on the spec.

The tank sundancex linked is nifty too
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #10 
inareverie85

I'm more concerned with the filter system. I have an Evolve 8, and have had to do SO much tinkering with the filter so that the flow doesn't blow around Sashimi.

I've heard of similar problems with the EBI, too.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote