Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #21 
pbloskas

Thank you! I do too, and I'll definitely be uploading pics when I do get...whatever tank feels right. :)
pbloskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #22 
kfryman

The Evolve would be easier to scape, I don't know why a square tank is harder, it allows bigger pieces of wood or rocks to be used. You need to back up why as I cannot think why it would. Also the SPEC is pretty expensive for a little tank, you can get a 10 gallon kit cheaper than that thing. I haven't seen a fluval tank that uses LEDS that can actually grow plants quite nicely. I am not sure about the Evolve either though...

Again, Ehiem is a reputable company that sells a product and that product does what it says. The LEDS that come with the SPEC or the Evolve are cheap and won't grow much, the ehiem can grow almost any plant no problem. If you want to grow more plants with the lower quality tanks you are just going to have to spend more money, equaling the same amount of the better product.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #23 
battered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
The Evolve would be easier to scape, I don't know why a square tank is harder, it allows bigger pieces of wood or rocks to be used. You need to back up why as I cannot think why it would. Also the SPEC is pretty expensive for a little tank, you can get a 10 gallon kit cheaper than that thing. I haven't seen a fluval tank that uses LEDS that can actually grow plants quite nicely. I am not sure about the Evolve either though...

Again, Ehiem is a reputable company that sells a product and that product does what it says. The LEDS that come with the SPEC or the Evolve are cheap and won't grow much, the ehiem can grow almost any plant no problem. If you want to grow more plants with the lower quality tanks you are just going to have to spend more money, equaling the same amount of the better product.
Not sure why, but apparently I have struck a nerve with you...but as stated four times in that previous post, everything I said was based on my opinion, not yours or anyone else's. I prefer the shape of the Spec to the Evolve simply because I've personally had more luck creating hardscapes in rectangular tanks as opposed to cubes. Maybe the simplicity of one dominant dimension makes it easier to fill in than the cube? Not sure. Bigger pieces of rock don't mean easier scaping. Many branchlike pieces of wood (that I prefer) may make a cube look emptier because they extend up, but not out, and so on. Again, just to make sure no one is confused, this is only my opinion.

Aquastyles are nice and Eheim is definitely a top notch brand. For me, the Spec was just more aesthetically pleasing, cheaper, and I can grow any plant with the Fluval 13w bulb no problem. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain Petco doesn't carry Eheims.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #24 
kfryman

Yeah I don't know, if they do or not, I haven't been to a Petco or Petsmart in a while. That is true, it is more of a personal opinion... I do think that a SPEC is overpriced though considering the light is garbage... Probably the same with the Evolve.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #25 
pbloskas

After a lot of thought, and help from an amazing Petco sales person, I have decided to go with the Aqueon Evolve 4. It will be my first fully planted aquarium. I will post pics soon. Thank you guys for all or your help!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #26 
Sundancex

Please post pics of it out of the box! :)
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #27 
pbloskas

As soon as I can find my camera... :P
My phone is terrible... Lol. Great tank, yes it is acrylic, but it's not a cheap plastic, it's pretty substantial. The light is phenomenal! It has a beautiful moonlight setting, and the tank is really spacious. Axel sure likes it better than the betta holder...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #28 
kfryman

I hope that light can just sustain plants...
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #29 
Sundancex

I'm sure the light will be able to sustain low light plants like java fern and java moss. If the OP wants to grow lots of plants, it might be a good idea to really look into what lighting the tank has and possibly ask for opinions here or on a aquascaping forum.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #30 
kfryman

I know it is an LED light, but most freshwater LEDs are low quality and can't sustain much growth. Almost anything can grow javafern, you can throw it in a bucket and it will grow, all it does is need a tad of light and it will manage. If the LEDs do give out 6500k light, then they might grow more plants.

Pictures?