Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 
Sprinkles55

Oh Brother..

Well, to start off this story I recently bought my mom's betta a new tank, 2-3 weeks ago approximately. It was a 3 gallon with a filter, and I tried to tell her to get a heater but she hasn't yet.

About a week ago, my mom purchased 2 little danio fish and put them in the tank with her betta. I told her it wasn't such a good idea, that her betta might get really stressed, and it wasn't proper room for them since she only had 3 gallons...she didn't really care, brushed me off.
Come a few days ago, I see the betta's tail in the worse shape I've ever seen it. It's jagged, looks ripped, and it disappointed me. I tried to tell my mom, and she showed concern but didn't say too much about it.
Come yesterday, a danio fish was dead and her betta was flaring and biting at the dead body.
Now, come today she tells me she doesn't like her betta anymore and doesn't want it in the tank anymore, because she doesn't want the other danio fish to die.

Long story short, I told her I'd take it and she could stock up on her precious danio fish. I feel like she doesn't really care for her betta at all... It doesn't even have a name. It kind of makes me angry, because the only reason I gave her that 3 gallon tank was for the better care of her betta!

Either way, I'm going to give him a better home. He was a precious white veiltail before, and I hope he regains his fins back well... I don't really have a tank for him yet I only have a 1 gallon hospital tank for my current Sprinkles in case he was to get sick. He'll be getting a new home soon though, hopefully...
He's otherwise looks healthy besides the fin issue, which I'm glad for.

I just felt like ranting about this, so thanks for anyone that read this. Helped get my nerves calmed.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 
toad

Oh boy.

Well, anyway - I'm glad you're taking the poor little guy. Who knows what will happen to him if you don't!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 
lvandert

wow I'm happy you got him. Does your mom know she's just going to kill any fish she puts in the 3 gallon? A 3 gallon can only support one maybe two fish. Maybe suggest cherry shrimp to her? That would be a perfect tank for cherry shrimp.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #4 
Sprinkles55

I'll try suggesting the cherry shrimp route and see how it goes I think she found a new love for these danio's though. She told me that the pet store salesmen suggested that danio's are the perfect fish for bettas. I wish she never went in and asked...because she's been disregarding my information since that pet store visit.
I know she has a genuine care for animals but I think when it comes to fish, she likes them as a decoration. She has stated before, when my last fish Sugarplum passed, that he was "just a fish, and it'll be okay."
When sugarplum passed that's when I found this site, and realized that I needed to invest so much more care than what I was told. They are not just fish.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #5 
lvandert

Nope their living beings that deserve the proper care just we would give any other pet. Good luck with the shrimp idea. There are other types of shrimp too; blue, ghost and I think a pink...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote