Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #11 
MSG

If you're going to buy something for the betta, make sure it's something it's something they can use for shelter.

Putting in a statue of miss piggy or some cartoon character doesn't make it jump for joy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #12 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojmccaf1963 View Post
Castle $8 bucks at Petsmart!!! It's suppose to GLOW!!! lol Yep spoiling my little *guy* lol
nice i like it :)
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #13 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
If you're going to buy something for the betta, make sure it's something it's something they can use for shelter.

Putting in a statue of miss piggy or some cartoon character doesn't make it jump for joy.
rude much?
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #14 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
rude much?
Yep, quite.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #15 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
OJMCC . .

Maybe a good place to start is to read this betta care page. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

I too took home a small bowl the first day I got a betta but then I googled "betta care", found this website, and realized that everything I "heard" about bettas was total b.s. I ran out that weekend and got a bigger bowl, but now that betta has a 6.6 gallon tank. You don't need that necessarily, but the suggestions everyone else had like getting an inexpensive larger drum bowl or largest kritter keeper you can find is good advice too.

Also, don't be discouraged, sometimes the sizes of tanks/bowls aren't exactly related to their price, if that is an issue. For instance, my largest tank happens to be the cheapest one I have. (I got a $10 gallon at the Petco "Dollar-a-gallon" sale once. I figured I didn't have to fill it all the way up or buy a top. )
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
No you guys aren't being MEAN!!! I need the pointers!! Thanks :) lol I HAVE been thinking about upgrading to a small filtered tank, but some sales person at Petsmart told me that filtered tanks were bad for bettas?? Never thought about getting a theometer though. I do know that the water can't be too cold for the fish. Thanks for the tips and PLEASE keep them coming :) thanks.
Thanks Hun, majority of the people with bettas in bowls dislike us for giving advice. I appreciate you for hearing me out :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #17 
ojmccaf1963

Sure no problem eventually when I get some funds I do attend on upgrading to a small tank. 5 gal - 10 gal maybe??
ojmccaf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #18 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, if you cannot afford a regualar tank, even tho they aren't that bad for prices, in some places, You could even go with a Kritter keeper, because it has more swim room, your fishy really needs to spread his fins, and it's best to have 1 gal of water /for each inch of fish..he's about a 2-3 in fish, he should be in 3 gal tank, and there are KK's that are 3 gal and you can decorate them nicely, they are long, so plants and hidey caves work much better, than in a vase..

Keep in mind you have a fish, that needs room, keep the vase for flowers, and then if you have more funds, get the heater, but for now he needs room, also you need to change water more frequently in smaller tanks/bowls.. He is a very pretty fishy, and you want him to stay healthy and beautiful..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Sure no problem eventually when I get some funds I do attend on upgrading to a small tank. 5 gal - 10 gal maybe??
In store walmart sells a 10 gallon starter kit. It's a 10 gal glass tank, hood with light & a filter for $30.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #20 
Gen2387

Thanks, it's nice to know that people are open to our suggestions. It's sometimes difficult to write something on a message board so that the person doesn't take it the wrong way.

But upgrading for a betta fish really doesn't have to be expensive. There are different school of thoughts on tank size. Some say at least 5 gallons which if fine. Some say 2 gallons which is also fine. I personally have my bettas in a 5 gal, a 3 gal and my last one is in a 1.5 gal until I get something bigger sometime soon. They are all heated but only 2 are filtered. Filters aren't necessary with bettas but they can be useful as they help keeping the water clear and clean. You still need to do at least 1 water change a week depending on the size of the tank.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote