Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 
Sivan

Algae and Betta tank mates

Hello hello. It has been a while because of my obscenely busy schedule lately. Unfortunately, Crusoe has not been getting the attention he deserves and I noticed that for the first time, I have algae on his tank walls and in his gravel! Normally I would just clean it off but I wonder: Would doing a 100% water change harm his cycle? Is a 100% water change for algae even necessary? He lives in a 5 gallon with no plants or mates...aside the algae, of course. It is beginning to get bad, as more has begun growing on the walls and his decorations are turning green, including his substrate.

He doesn't seem to mind but I certainly would not leave it there. I was considering getting those anti-algae tablets I have seen advertised but I do not know if I am supposed to add them before I have algae or while I have it in order to fight it off. I have also considered getting him a tank mate. This, however, can be harder to deal with because I will be traveling in December to my parents' home for about a month and a half to two months and it will be harder to carry two fish rather than one with me.

I am going to fight my urge to do a 100% change if there is an easier way. If I do get him a tankmate, I'd like to get a Julii cory catfish like I had once long ago. However, I know they are social, grouping, fish and I was wondering if any real harm would happen to the little guy if I purchased him alone. Also, I am not sure how to add him to the tank without Crusoe going nuts. I never had a tankmate before and I would like to know the right way of adding fish instead of guessing.

Any suggestions?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #2 
Goldibug

A 100% water change would do more harm then good. It could upset the cycle and the drastic change in water parameters can stress your fish and make him sick. Algae is actually healthy for a tank even though it is unsightly. A single cory isn't a good idea for the cory because they stress easily without a mate which in turn shortens their life span. Otocinclus are another possibility. They are fantastic algae eaters but unfortunately also like to school. If you don't know how your fish will react to tank mates then I would start with some ghost shrimp. They are very inexpensive and are known to help combat algae as well. The best thing you can do for algae is to keep the lights off more and clean the tank with an algae scrubber. Make sure the tank is away from windows as well. The extra sunlight will only promote algae growth. An algae eater will help but will not take care of the problem.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 
Sivan

What about those anti-algae tablets? Any good?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #4 
Goldibug

I've never used them. Typically you don't want to add chemicals to your tank that are just a quick fix. IMO they're a waste of money because things like proper tank maintenance can either fix the problem or prevent it from happening. The algae tablets are your call but I don't recommend them for the above reasons.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

anti algae tablet will likely destroy your cycle :(
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #6 
Sivan

Well, then no algae tablets for me! I never, ever, had algae before but I have a very sunny room since I moved and even though he is mostly in the shade now, some rays still sneak into his tank. How can I manage this effectively? What is the best way to get it out of the gravel?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #7 
Goldibug

I would try some ghost shrimp first and see if they survive. They're suppose to be excellent algae eaters. Once a week during water changes I would vaccum or even rinse/boil 1/3 of the gravel at a time and see if you can remove the algae. I haven't yet experienced an algae outbreak in my tanks but I do have a bristlenose plecostomus in one and the other is still pretty new. Hopefully you can get it under control.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #8 
NapoleonUWS

Nerite Snails are great for taking care of algae. I have two in each of my 4G tanks and they eat all the dead leaves on plants and scour the sides of the tank for algae.
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapoleonUWS View Post
Nerite Snails are great for taking care of algae. I have two in each of my 4G tanks and they eat all the dead leaves on plants and scour the sides of the tank for algae.
ditto

Nerites might lay eggs but the eggs won't hatch in fresh water. The eggs are tiny white dots. Mine is laying eggs now but they are not hard to clean up.

My tank was covered in algae and it was gone in 2 weeks with the nerites.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #10 
Relic

I have an apple snail that does an excellent job in my 10 gal tank. I chose the apple snail because they don't harm live plants. My other 10gal has nothing and I am currently experiencing an algae take over...it is currently stocked to the max so I can't add anything else....I'm just cleaning the glass every other day and letting the algae do it's thing.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote