Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #1 
momo1010

Question New betta owner.. O_O

I went to petsmart yesterday and purchased a pretty little crowntail betta. My first fish! I'm a little concerned about him and was hoping maybe to get some help or advice. He doesn't seem to be thriving. He keeps his pretty fins closed now and seems to.. Pout in the corner of his gallon tank. Not interested in eating and he seems to enjoy his crappy cup from Petsmart than his swanky tank!!! I'm wondering maybe if he is sick?? The cup he came in had blue colored water, which of course the woman who worked there clearly just didn't want to talk to or help a first time fish buyer... She just pointed and told me "new to fish? Get a betta." and walked off. Anyway thanks in advance!
momo1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #2 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo1010 View Post
I went to petsmart yesterday and purchased a pretty little crowntail betta. My first fish! I'm a little concerned about him and was hoping maybe to get some help or advice. He doesn't seem to be thriving. He keeps his pretty fins closed now and seems to.. Pout in the corner of his gallon tank. Not interested in eating and he seems to enjoy his crappy cup from Petsmart than his swanky tank!!! I'm wondering maybe if he is sick?? The cup he came in had blue colored water, which of course the woman who worked there clearly just didn't want to talk to or help a first time fish buyer... She just pointed and told me "new to fish? Get a betta." and walked off. Anyway thanks in advance!
wow thats the worst petsmart employee ever... a one gallon should be fine for now esp if hes sick... did you use water conditioner? dont worry if hes not eating...bettas do that sometimes when they are acclimating to their new surroundings... do you have a thermometer... depending on where u live u may need a heater...other than that im no expert so idk
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #3 
momo1010

Yeah tell me about the employee. I did use drops for the water, but I did not get a heater because I was told that I wouldn't need one for my betta which I have since learned is wrong because bettas are tropical?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #4 
katrina89

first step is to get a thermometer to see if you need one... they like 76 to 80
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #5 
Frazzle

I bought a betta yesterday and the cashier said " your fish is dead " and I told her "no?" and she said " he's upside down " XD he clearly wasnt.... Just shows you petsmart/petco people aren't always the most reliable.

If your new to fish, look on on cycling a tank, preferably one that's larger then 2.5 gallons. If your fish is staying to a corner, he might be trying to hide? Just give him a little time and maybe put a clean ping pong ball to float so he can play with it. A small mirror would work great to give him a little spark
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #6 
momo1010

Yayy good news. I guess our little betta just needed time to adjust. His fins look fine now. They are a lovely red and he's been fanning them out every now and then throughout the day. He also has been swimming around the tank and poking about. He does go back to his corner, I guess that's where he likes to hang out best. LOL. But yay!!! My first fish seems to be doing well! Thanks for your input :)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

Do you have some nice decor in your tank for him? He'll probably want some places to hide! There are some great silk plants at Petco and if you want a cheap hideout for him, just take a clean coffee mug and put it in there for him on its side and he'll have a little cave!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #8 
momo1010

Yeah his corner has a plant in front of it so maybe that's why he hides there. What a brilliantly cheap idea for a little betta cave!!