Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1 
Freyja
Banned

Bored betta apparently

So Freyja has decided it is fun to scare the living daylights out of me by swimming against the filter's output current and jumping onto the filter pad . I've found her resting on top of her filter pad twice already. When I coax her back into the water she seems pissed that I took her from her resting place . Come lunch time I'm going to Petsmart to buy some Fluval filter foam to put on top of her filter pad so that she can't jump on it anymore. I have the Aqueon mini bow 2.5 g. I'm scared to go to Petsmart though cause they got their new shipment in yesterday. Pretty boys. Is this boredom? Should I get her some ghosties to chase around?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
So Freyja has decided it is fun to scare the living daylights out of me by swimming against the filter's output current and jumping onto the filter pad . I've found her resting on top of her filter pad twice already. When I coax her back into the water she seems pissed that I took her from her resting place . Come lunch time I'm going to Petsmart to buy some Fluval filter foam to put on top of her filter pad so that she can't jump on it anymore. I have the Aqueon mini bow 2.5 g. I'm scared to go to Petsmart though cause they got their new shipment in yesterday. Pretty boys. Is this boredom? Should I get her some ghosties to chase around?
I can't tell by the pic, do you have a lid on the tank? If not you may want to put it on, it may be only a matter of time before she jumps out of the tank. How long has she been in the tank? It may be possible that the filter is too much for her because of the small space. I've not had a tank your size but I had a couple smaller ones & my Bettas never did well when the filters were running them. Now my males are in filtered 10g tanks & I use the water bottle trick to lessen the output flow, they're much more relaxed. Just been my experience that the smaller the tank the less they like the filter running.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

She has no issues with the filter current. On the contrary she'll hang around the output flow. Yes it has a lid, and she's been in the tank about two months.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 
shellieca

Quote:
She has no issues with the filter current. On the contrary she'll hang around the output flow. Yes it has a lid, and she's been in the tank about two months.
OK, just thought I'd ask the questions. Sounds like she just likes to be on the filter pad then.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

I know! Not good for me though lol...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
shellieca

Quote:
I know! Not good for me though lol...
LOL. I understand that, I think your sponge idea is probably the best thing to do, block it off some how so she can't jump up there. So far I've not had any jumpers.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

Females will do that :)
The foam option is good. You could also lower the water level.
Have you let her get herself back in the water? That's what I do with my females who jump on my floating plants. They will eventually wiggle themselves back in the water.
Offer her some resting place near the surface... I know this tank doesn't offer a lot of room on the top with the filter but it might work.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #8 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Have you let her get herself back in the water? That's what I do with my females who jump on my floating plants. They will eventually wiggle themselves back in the water.
Offer her some resting place near the surface... I know this tank doesn't offer a lot of room on the top with the filter but it might work.
Why didn't I think of that? LOL. I've always had leaves towards the top of the water for them to lay on. In my females tank I have plants that wouldn't stayed anchored in the gravel so I let them float & Ruby especially LOVES being in them, the others do occasionally but she practically lives in them. GREAT SUGGESTION!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I haven't mainly because I'm afraid she won't want to come out. She does rest on her floating anacharis, which is near the surface. I bought the filter foam because it'll also give me more surface area for BB so double purpose.