Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #1 
KermieBetta01

Exclamation Rescue?

Hello all!
I will be getting my first ever betta this week. Through much research, his tank is a two gallon, hexagonal tank that will be bought @ Petsmart. I've googled and youtubed (is that a word?) "bettas from petsmart", "bettas from petco", and even, "bettas from walmart". Out of all, the ones from petsmart look the healthiest, happiest, and they are not stacked. So, I'm thinking in my head, "petsmart is the smartest choice here clearly". But, is it the best? I know that if I buy from walmart, (the least healthiest fish) that they will continue to sell fish in the way that they are doing it, because there is a customer willing to buy. I'm torn between a healthy, happy fish looking for a home, and a unhealthy, sad fish in dire need for a home. I know many of you are happy owners of a rescued betta, but would it be a good choice for a first time owner? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make that betta happy and healthy, even if it is beyond saving.
So to make this short and simple, here are my options:
1. Buy a happy, healthy fish from petsmart
2. Buy a sad, unhealthy fish from walmart
3. Buy both, buy a double tank, nurse the sick one until it is healed (then buy another tank) or dies, and remove the barrier and let the healthy one enjoy a happy life.

again: I am a new betta fish owner, willing to take a huge responsiblity, no matter what it would be.
KermieBetta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #2 
LinkLover

Honestly, it's all up to you and what you feel is best. I think starting with a healthy fish so you get the experience would be a good idea, but I can't say what's best for you personally. Also, if you buy a sick and healthy fish at the same time, they NEED separate tanks, or the healthy one will also get sick since they would be sharing the same water. I think it's geat that you are willing to put in so much effort to take care of a fish in need for your first time. It is possible to do it that way and have it work out well, so like I said I think it's really up to you. :)

Also, Bettas prefer to swim horizontally, not vertically (because they have to swim to the top to breathe) so make sure the hexagonal tank you have is not too tall.

Last edited by LinkLover; 07-26-2012 at 10:28 AM.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 
Frazzle

I wouldn't keep a sick betta in the same water as a healthy one. And make sure the barrier is snug to the side of the walls! I had my dragonscaLe pay my crowntail a visit last night while I was rearranging, and I made it just in time before there was a death match.

Returning to your question... Get both :) nurse the one back to health and then you can put them in the same tank
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermieBetta01 View Post
Hello all!
I will be getting my first ever betta this week. Through much research, his tank is a two gallon, hexagonal tank that will be bought @ Petsmart. I've googled and youtubed (is that a word?) "bettas from petsmart", "bettas from petco", and even, "bettas from walmart". Out of all, the ones from petsmart look the healthiest, happiest, and they are not stacked. So, I'm thinking in my head, "petsmart is the smartest choice here clearly". But, is it the best? I know that if I buy from walmart, (the least healthiest fish) that they will continue to sell fish in the way that they are doing it, because there is a customer willing to buy. I'm torn between a healthy, happy fish looking for a home, and a unhealthy, sad fish in dire need for a home. I know many of you are happy owners of a rescued betta, but would it be a good choice for a first time owner? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make that betta happy and healthy, even if it is beyond saving.
So to make this short and simple, here are my options:
1. Buy a happy, healthy fish from petsmart
2. Buy a sad, unhealthy fish from walmart
3. Buy both, buy a double tank, nurse the sick one until it is healed (then buy another tank) or dies, and remove the barrier and let the healthy one enjoy a happy life.

again: I am a new betta fish owner, willing to take a huge responsiblity, no matter what it would be.
IMO it does NOT matter where you buy the Betta you are rescueing it. Yes, some stores take better care of them but that is more about the the on duty "aquarist" than the name of the store. I have bought Bettas at Petsmart & Petco, with some successes & some failures. One of my females I bought at Petco, I noticed she didn't swim well in her cup but thought she may do better when in the 10g & not so confined, I was wrong, I call her handicapped after 4 months she gets around pretty good but still isn't graceful like the others. IMO look at the Bettas at each store & see which one "speaks" to you. As for the aquarium I would HIGHLY suggest going with a bigger tank that is longer rather than taller. If you are going to Petsmart they typically have good buys on the 5g or 10g aquarium kits which have the hood w/ light, filter & heater. All three of my tanks have come from Petsmart when they've had them on sell. I LOVE the 10g Top Fin Kits and they don't have a big footprint.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 
MsGita

I know there are many people who disagree on this subject. I personally will not spend 1 cent in a store that is mistreating their fish/animals. I do not believe that buying a sick fish is "rescuing" it, it's just contributing to a business that abuses/neglects animals. I would rather seek out a responsible seller and give them my support and money.
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #6 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I think Walmart is the worst and I sort of vowed recently not to go there anymore for anything.

As far as whether Petsmart or Petco is better, it sounds to me like it varies town to town. For instance, in my town, Petco does not ever stack their bettas but Petsmart has. I still think Petco WAY overstocks their bettas compared to my Petsmart .. so they sit there forever and ever ..

I wish I had a responsible local fish store that wasn't 30 minutes away because I ended up with all these Petco bettas from seeing them when I would go buy a filter cartridge or something .. but I agree with MsGita in my heart or hearts. .. I should have boycotted but I succumbed.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #7 
bahamut285

This is my opinion:

For a FIRST TIME betta owner. I would try to get the healthiest, most colourful and most active betta you can find on the shelf.

While your heart is in the right place, just picking up a "sick betta" and throwing money and time into the wind is bringing unnecessary stress of a new pet and the new pet being already sick.

There is more to fishkeeping than feeding and water changes, in which a new owner should strive to keep a fish healthy before trying to nurse sick ones back to health, regardless of the perceived level of responsibility.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #8 
cjconcepcion

i personally recommend getting one off of aquabid.com because that way, you get a healthy good quality fish, and you arent supporting the stores that mistreat their animals
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #9 
KermieBetta01

Thank you everybody who replied. You all gave me good insites and have made my choice easier. Not to disrespect or offend anybody but I have decided to get a healthy male from my local petsmart. I'll make sure that the tank is bigger horizontally than veritcally, I never knew or heard of that @Linklover!! Since Im a new owner, I'll make sure i can take care of a healthy one properly and then, i'll invest in a sick one. Again, thank you all so much!

Last edited by KermieBetta01; 07-26-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: gave wrong person credit for a tip.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 
KermieBetta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
i personally recommend getting one off of aquabid.com because that way, you get a healthy good quality fish, and you arent supporting the stores that mistreat their animals
It's funny that you mention aquabid.com, I was just looking at their website before logging on here to check if I had any replies! I was dicouraged because I had never heard of it before. So I guess I have another question: Have you ordered from there, and have you been a happy costumer?

Tags
healthy betta, unhealthy, walmart rescue