Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #11 
KermieBetta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGita View Post
I know there are many people who disagree on this subject. I personally will not spend 1 cent in a store that is mistreating their fish/animals. I do not believe that buying a sick fish is "rescuing" it, it's just contributing to a business that abuses/neglects animals. I would rather seek out a responsible seller and give them my support and money.
Again, thank you for your opinion! I knew there would be much contraversy on this thread, and I am happy to see that there is. That means that other owners on here are making the best decisions for themselves wether agreeing or disagreeing with you. I respect what you do, and I am sure you make the best decisions for yourself and your fish. Also, the fish on your profile picture is geogreous, further proving what a good owner you are :)
KermieBetta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #12 
KermieBetta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
This is my opinion:

For a FIRST TIME betta owner. I would try to get the healthiest, most colourful and most active betta you can find on the shelf.

While your heart is in the right place, just picking up a "sick betta" and throwing money and time into the wind is bringing unnecessary stress of a new pet and the new pet being already sick.

There is more to fishkeeping than feeding and water changes, in which a new owner should strive to keep a fish healthy before trying to nurse sick ones back to health, regardless of the perceived level of responsibility.
OUCH. that stung a bit, especially your signature! But, no hard feelings, eh? We are all just trying to do what we think is best for fish, and because your feelings are strong, I feel confident your fish are well taken care of. Thank you for your opinion and reply! :)
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #13 
cjconcepcion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermieBetta01 View Post
It's funny that you mention aquabid.com, I was just looking at their website before logging on here to check if I had any replies! I was dicouraged because I had never heard of it before. So I guess I have another question: Have you ordered from there, and have you been a happy costumer?

Yes i have bought from aquabid before, and im planning to sell most of the bettas from my first spawn on there as well. I know its weird buying a fish online and having it shipped to you, but bettas are relatively hardy and handle this well. I do have my fair share of bettas from petsmart as well, but whenever i get the chance and can afford it i go to aquabid, also, its always a good idea to ask around on here about the seller before making a bid, if you ever choose to buy one on there sometime :)
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #14 
bahamut285

Quote:
OUCH. that stung a bit, especially your signature! But, no hard feelings, eh?
Haha of course, never! Intentions are more than just words XD

Quote:
We are all just trying to do what we think is best for fish, and because your feelings are strong, I feel confident your fish are well taken care of. Thank you for your opinion and reply! :)
I thank you for your response. You have a good heart and a thick skin, I am also confident that your new boy will be in the best care possible :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 
KermieBetta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
Honestly, it's all up to you and what you feel is best. I think starting with a healthy fish so you get the experience would be a good idea, but I can't say what's best for you personally. Also, if you buy a sick and healthy fish at the same time, they NEED separate tanks, or the healthy one will also get sick since they would be sharing the same water. I think it's geat that you are willing to put in so much effort to take care of a fish in need for your first time. It is possible to do it that way and have it work out well, so like I said I think it's really up to you. :)

Also, Bettas prefer to swim horizontally, not vertically (because they have to swim to the top to breathe) so make sure the hexagonal tank you have is not too tall.
Thank you so much for your reply! I gave a big thank you to everyone who replied, and mentioned you specifically. I can be very obsessive over things, and have looked up numerous tanks reading reviews and basic care pages and I have NEVER heard that they perfer horizontally over vertically! Im going to greatly take that into consideration and will begin searching for the best home for my betta.

Also: You should post a thread on the betta care site! Like i said, your the first person to ever tell me that, and im sure you would also be the first to other people as well!

Tags
healthy betta, unhealthy, walmart rescue