Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #11 
stephanier

My betta is definitely more active with the light on. However, his light gets way too hot and raises the water temp too much, so I can't leave it on for long periods of time. It's a 15 watt tublular light and if anyone has any suggestions of lightbulbs that don't heat up that would be much appreciated!!
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #12 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
You don't really need to have a light for bettas...The daylight from the rest of the room is enough..
+1
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #13 
Kenny G

PetSmart sells those Aqueon bulbs for $2.99. My betta's like the light from the 15w 120v clear incandescent bulbs because it's not blinding. I love these bulbs because during the span of a day it slowly warms up the water without me having to use their heaters. If I had to use my heaters in the summer months with the 90 degree temperatures were having I would boiling my little guys and I don't want to do that.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #14 
Frazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanier View Post
My betta is definitely more active with the light on. However, his light gets way too hot and raises the water temp too much, so I can't leave it on for long periods of time. It's a 15 watt tublular light and if anyone has any suggestions of lightbulbs that don't heat up that would be much appreciated!!
LEB bulbs maybe? I dont think they warm up to fast
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #15 
Seki

Wow, thanks for all the responses from everyone! I can definitely see how this varies from fish to fish. I think Drago prefers natural light, whereas his predecessor, Sheik, tended to be happier when the tank light was on. For now, I think daylight is fine for him when the sun it up, and then the tank light will be on for only a couple of hours in the evening before lights out for bedtime.

I appreciate everyone's help! In the winter, I might experiment a little bit with different bulbs for his light, to see if he likes any of them better. :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
My betta's like the light from the 15w 120v clear incandescent bulbs because it's not blinding.
15W is 15W..brightness is the same. If you like incandescent (around 2400K) better than daylight 6500K that's your personal preference. Your fish don't care. Only your plants care.

Quote:
...love these bulbs because during the span of a day it slowly warms up the water without me having to use their heaters.
Ideally, your water temperature should remain the same day or night. Warming and cooling on a daily basis is not optimum.

Quote:
If I had to use my heaters in the summer months with the 90 degree temperatures were having I would boiling my little guys and I don't want to do that.
If your heater remains on after the set temperature is reached, there is something wrong with your heater. You might want to have it checked or replaced.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote