Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #51 
starrlamia

i am not a fan of that huge cave, and that is slate rock which actually isnt shark, I dont think it would hurt betta fins tbh. Plus I dont want to use slate as the main centrepiece, I want the river rock as the centrepiece and I may use some slate (besides as a top for the piece) but in other places in the tank and not in a focus.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #52 
MSG

The only problem with river rocks is due to their roundness they're not very stable.

I would have to fish out the girls before I do any maintenance because of cave in risks.

Currently most of my girls happily swim into the nets. Not sure if they'll still do that if I create a nice cozy cave for them.

Not sure how they would feel if their cave structures gets torn down and rebuilt every other week.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #53 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They're fine if you silicone them though.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #54 
MSG

I need to play with silicone some more. It's always been a disaster whenever I've used it in the past for non aquarium related projects.

I would still be worried about building a structure that's too heavy to move in and out of the tank. I got some planning to do.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #55 
starrlamia

silicone works well :)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #56 
babystarz

I would also recommend more jagged or flat rocks rather than rounded ones. Dunno if you've ever seen the old rock walls people have built in Ireland, but they're simple stacked stones that are placed so they fit together like puzzle pieces and they stand that way for hundreds of years; http://www.anntorrence.com/blog/at-i...7/_AT03452.jpg

Here's an article on how the walls are built, I figure the technique is probably adaptable to aquascaping :P http://www.ehow.com/how_5569125_lay-...one-walls.html

It's definitely a more structured look than you are going for, but I wouldn't trust those round stones to not fall over and squish any creatures in the way. You could maybe glue them together with well placed globs of cement?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #57 
starrlamia

Im going for a more natural look and river stones are rounded and look more natural for a river waterscape, I am also going to be ensuring that whatever structure i end up with is secure so it wont be falling apart.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #58 
MistersMom

i really like that structure you built, it looks like something you may find in a creek/river/lake that naturally fell there, i also like your tank, its very pretty. i hope it all goes well, and i hope that your fish will love it. good luck! and i just wouldn't bother commenting back to MSG they seem to be trying to make your tank THEIR way, but its your tank so do as you want, building the inside of the tank is always the funnest part! :D so don't let any one spoil it for you!

MSG, i understand your just trying to help, but Star knows what they want and is going to build what they want. you can build your tank your way, but you have no control over theirs.

Thats the best part about not having to share your fish tank with the whole world, they don't have to like it, as long as you and your fish do.
Good luck! :)
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #59 
starrlamia

aww thanks! Im really looking forward to rescaping it this week!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #60 
MistersMom

i love your choice of plants, you tank looks aweshum :3 lol.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote