Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #61 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Starr I really like your prototype. I think it will work well, and yes, it looks very natural. You can find smooth stones that fit together well.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #62 
starrlamia

Thanks!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #63 
starrlamia

havent redone the tank yet, most likely will do it thursday or saturday
Today I did pick up 7 rummynose tetras. I thought about going with rasboras but the only ones I really like are galaxy and my lfs didnt have any captive bred, plus they were twice as expensive!

i may pick up an assassin snail or two because I have a ton of snails and want to cut it back a bit. Im also considering some khulis or corys but im going to sit on that one for a while!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #64 
starrlamia

redid the tank yesterday, still a bit cloudy, and i have some things to move around

im going to grab a few more crypts and rearrange some of the cabomba in the back, its hard to see in these pics though
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #65 
MSG

Very nice...

Thanks for mentioning galaxy rasboras.

Gala Rasbies, look really interesting and I'll be keeping my eyes out for them.

Oh yeah, I finally got a response from Hagen/ZooMed about their decorations/plastic plants from the reptile/amphibian section.

Hagen: "We thank you for taking the time to contact us.

You can use the plastic plants, but we suggest not using the cave, it might break down after a period of time."

I'm somewhat disappointed because I have all these reptile decorations, but guess I won't be using them now.

Also one of the more interesting decorations, I tried to clean a little with just a little water, baking soda & a very soft toothbrush. Within 10 seconds the paint was coming off. So I stopped immediately.

Something you may want to ponder.....

Anyway, I like how you rearranged everything even though it's a little cloudy. I wish I had those plants to play with. Mine are all severely neglected.

• BTW, where did you get the idea for applying sand mixed with silicone to the log/cave? You used gloves, correct?
  • What kind of filter are you using for your tank? I don't remember if you mentioned it or not.
  • What type of fluorescent light are you using? 6500K?
  • Where's the rummies, I don't see any in those photos?
I would go with a cory type fish instead of the kuhlis. I think kuhlis like to hide too much unless you get like 5-6 of them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #66 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

5-6 cories, 5-6 kuhlis. I rarely see my cories in the daylight (right now they're breeding so they're psycho every where lol). I gave them good hiding places and they use them. For kuhlis, seems half and half... I've seen tanks where the kuhli loach will spend all the live long day out in the open.. and tanks where they're never seen.. more hiding places and you'll probably see them more often, spread out little hidey holes throughout the tank. I think it's pretty equal when it comes to amount of time spent hiding.

Galaxy rasbora are a sensitive micro fish that should never be kept with betta, nor any other mid dwellers as a general rule. Species only tank for those beauties.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #67 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Thanks for mentioning galaxy rasboras.

Gala Rasbies, look really interesting and I'll be keeping my eyes out for them.

Oh yeah, I finally got a response from Hagen/ZooMed about their decorations/plastic plants from the reptile/amphibian section.

Hagen: "We thank you for taking the time to contact us.

You can use the plastic plants, but we suggest not using the cave, it might break down after a period of time."

I'm somewhat disappointed because I have all these reptile decorations, but guess I won't be using them now.

Also one of the more interesting decorations, I tried to clean a little with just a little water, baking soda & a very soft toothbrush. Within 10 seconds the paint was coming off. So I stopped immediately.

Something you may want to ponder.....

Anyway, I like how you rearranged everything even though it's a little cloudy. I wish I had those plants to play with. Mine are all severely neglected.

• BTW, where did you get the idea for applying sand mixed with silicone to the log/cave? You used gloves, correct?
  • What kind of filter are you using for your tank? I don't remember if you mentioned it or not.
I would go with a cory type fish instead of the kuhlis. I think kuhlis like to hide too much unless you get like 5-6 of them.
well I ended up covering the caves completely in silicone and let it set for several days so hopefully nothing happens, but then Ive had aquarium specific decorations lose paint and my fish survived lol
ive seen people cover bowls and candle holders for their tanks so I just stole the idea, I wanted the caves to blend in so sand seemed liked a good idea
I will be using a double sponge filter if the thing ever comes in the mail, should have been here this week, I may go out and grab a sponge filter from a LFS just so I cant get one going, the ones I bought were on ebay for super cheap so it isnt like Ive spent a lot for onel lol, so right now no filter, Ive been testing my water daily so i can keep up with it.
Yes, it is a T8 fixture with 1 24" Life glo bulb which is 6700k (pretty much the same thing).
They are all over the place lol, they love swimming through the plants but when they see me they also come to the front, I have to say I am quite fond of the little guys, they are quirky.

Olympia I have never heard that about the galaxy rasboras, ive seen people keep them in community tanks. I decided not to get any after reading about how hard they are to breed in captivity and that the aquarium hobby is wiping out the native population.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #68 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, they are one of those fish that you should be trying to breed if you get them. But really, they stay smaller than .75". Not something I'd put with a betta, and there are fish that would work but you have to choose carefully. You can read their profile here: Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus) Profile
As it says, it's illegal to export them in their main range of Myanmar, but wild caught fish are being collected in other countries now. So they are protected over a large portion of their habitat.

Are you getting loaches/cories still?

Also, hey, a fellow Ontario..ian?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #69 
starrlamia

Yup I'm in kitchener!
Not 100% on corys or loaches, I wouldn't be adding them for a few weeks anyway, so plenty of time to decide!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #70 
starrlamia

here is an updated pic, I still have some cleaning up to do

Posted via Mobile Device