Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #1 
Ronbeast

My betta has a crusty face..?

So,

I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with my betta, or if there is anything in fact wrong with him. But I just want the advice of experts.

Some background: Nigel (my betta) lives alone in a heated/filtered five-gallon aquarium, the PH level is currently at 7.3 and the water was changed 2 days ago. I bought Nigel from a pet store about 3 months ago, I felt bad for him because he was in a tiny cup with disgusting water. He turned out to be a very pretty fish.

The little thing that is worrying me is the fact that he has some crust on his face. I don't know what it is or if it is just the way he is. He seems to be a very healthy fish, constantly swimming around and exploring, more than happy to eat a few betta pellets. I've tried using a product called " API general cure" which is supposed to be a medication for various parasites and diseases.
But it didn't really clear anything up.

I'm not sure what to make of this, can anyone offer an answer/advice?

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic.

-Ron
Ronbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

It looks like normal coloring for light headed fish. My light blue fish with a white face has the same red lines and such.

You could try some aquarium salt and 100% daily changes for a week if you're really worried, but I think he's healthy.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

I can't see in the picture. Does the "crust" appear raised off the scales?

Look up Ich and see if the description and pictures match what is going on with your fish just in case. If you think it might be maybe get some second opinions here just in case.

It could be like pat said. The white could be a bit of marbling or a small amount of dragonscale coloring he could have developed? It's hard to see though from the picture.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/ich/

Other pictures can be found on the internet as well as here. Thought I would toss this out as a place to begin. See how the lumps of white crust are raised from the body in above picture?

Example of white dragonscaling on a betta

Example of a marble with the white scales on his face.

I don't know if this helped at all but if none of the above fits i'm sure someone can help you figure out what's going on.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

This is my betta that has the similar coloring on his face. He gets twice weekly water changes in a 2.5 gallon at 76 degrees. His only issue ever has been tail biting.

So I'm thinking it's just a light coloration think. Possibly veins and such being visible since the skin there doesn't have as much pigment.

If he's acting fine and no scales are sticking up or missing, I'd say he's perfectly healthy.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
Ronbeast

Yes, he looks exactly like the betta in your picture, pataflafla. He seems perfectly halthy and doesn't have any history of illness. He is kept in a clean tank and always eats every bit of food he is given.

I guess it's just the way he is?

-Ron
Ronbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

I would say so. My other boy with a light face, who has since passed, also had the red coloration. Pretty sure it's just a pigmentation thing.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #7 
Twilight Storm

sorry pat, just tried to help with pictures just in case. :)

Glad hes ok :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Oh it was no problem. the description just reminded me of the worry I had once Mirage's face started doing the same, so I figured it was something similar since this betta has a light face too.