Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta+ghost shrimp+neons?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  GrayL 
#1 ·
I would ideally like to have my betta Castiel in with a school of neons and some ghost shrimp. That is assuming he doesn't decide to attack/eat either species. I'm not planning on doing much in the way of hiding spaces as this will be an Iwagumi planted tank with a moss carpet and some shorter plants (not 100% sure on species...ordered microsword so far). Is it crazy to think I could get this to work? I would do 6-8 neons, 4-6 ghost shrimp, and Castiel. Too much? Or just pushing the limit?

#2 ·
What size is your tank? You could add 6 neon tetras in a 10 gallon with your Betta. Ghosties are really sensitive and the tank needs to be cycled. The neon tetras prefer soft waters, too. They all could live together but with certain needs.

#4 ·
Hm... It's too small for Tetras, sorry. :( You could only put in Snails or Shrimp. Tetras are really active fish and needs schools or they'll feel insecure and shy. You could put in like Red Cherry Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Nerite Snails, I think Mystery Snails are OK in an almost 8 gallon. If you're going for Shrimp, remember to have lots of plants so they will have enough cover to live from your Betta. Bettas love Shrimp. Especially mine. He ate all 4 under 2 weeks.

#5 ·
I don't know why everyone always buys those nano style tanks

Because of their size, you're seriously limited to the type of fish you house in there.

If $100 was my budget, I would probably go with....
$100 = Eclipse System 12 Aquarium (Acrylic with bio-wheel)
$76 = Top Fin® 20 Gallon Starter Kit [24" Fluorescent Light]
$70 = Marineland Bio-Wheel LED 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit

#7 ·
I'd say neons are too small as well, unfortunately. Maybe something like ember tetras or chili rasboras? Maybe endlers? In my experience, ghost shrimp are fairly hardy. If they die, they're so cheap - just buy more. I'd think about reconsidering the scape of the tank. Without hiding spots or plants to provide cover/protection, you might experience more capability issues than normal. Maybe add some floaters for that coverage? Just my 2 cents.

Also, what are your plans in terms of co2? Microsword usually doesn't grow too great without additional ferts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.